Need some advice

jared185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I am new to the website so first hello everyone. Anyway I have a question I am not new to saltwater aquariums but still have a bit to learn as well. Ok heres my problem ive had reefs in the past a 55 gallon and a 90 gallon drilled I have used the hob refugium/sump with built in protein skimmer and an under tank sump and have had to replace my flooring under my tank both times due to leaks which were results from faulty plumbing lol my fault and the other time a faulty seal from factory. So wife says no more sumps. Now I have just got my 20g tall reef tank cycled and have a couple clownfish a mandarin goby and an anemone. So ill tell you about my setup now I have a 2 bulb t5ho light seaclone protein skimmer for up to 200 gallons an 1 penguin biowheel hob filter it is for up to 50 gallons I think model number is the 250 or 200 (I took the biowheel off). Ive also got a cascade 100 hob filter its for up to 75 gallons. I have 20lbs of sand and 15lbs of aquacultured rock. I have a small clean up crew but plan to get more later. Now I was wondering is this a decent setup or should I convert the hob filters to a mini refugium any advice and as much as I want another sump its out of the question ill end up divorced lol. so any alternatives or advice. thanks for any replies.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think what you have should work......what are you wanting to keep in the tank? I don't think you need two of the HOB filters - one should suffice. I've never done a hang-on refugium but it may be beneficial to learn about turning one of the filters into one.

luxauterna

A softy who loves softies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with fishroomlady. Keep the HOB skimmer and turn your cascade into a DIY hob fuge if you want it. There are a ton of ideas you can mimic from the aquaclear diy fuge on google. All you would need is a small light on a timer to place over the main body of the hob filter. I turned one of my aquaclear 110s into a fuge and loved it back in the day.

OP
OP
J

jared185

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the replies sorry it took me a while to write back internet was down. I ended up tanking the cascade filter and bought some macro algae and live rock rubble and a carbon filter it cqme with seem to be working well.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 55.9%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 28 30.1%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.5%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back