Talk me back into salt

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been thinking about what to do with the 20 gallon that I custom built into an AIO with customer stand and canopy. I've been debating on a freshwater planted tank with an amazon theme or to try again as an SPS tank. My fear with this is, I had it up as a reef tank twice and the green hair algae took over even though all my params checked out. What do you guys think I should do? I do still have my rock. Dried out by now. I plan on soaking or boiling it before I put it back in the tank.

Attachments

• DSC01949.jpg
    DSC01949.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 336

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go for the sps tank. There is always a reason for hair algae and it can be beat with the proper clean up crew. Find the source of the algae and it can fixed. Try bare bottom and see if that helps with the algae.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Parameters are usually going to check out when you have algae, because they are using most of the nutrients. +1 to trying to find the source and/or having the proper CUC.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on either buying new bulbs for my T-5 or going LED. The only thing is, LED is expensive.

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People say LED is expensive, it really isn't the cost of bulb and energy savings alone pays it off, it is just an upfront cost, and if you're worried about it, there are some great really cheap units that you can get, just don't expect all of the features that you can get on a Radion, and you're all set.

MRRBW

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Being someone who changed from a fish only tank to a reef tank, I can share with you how annoying algae problems are. It is a struggle but it is manageable. Once you get it under control, the look of the tank pays for itself. Things you need to check/use/do - RO/DI water is a must (for me at least as I know some people don't use it and have no problems with algae), use of carbon and phosphate removers, not too much daylight/ tank lighting, don't over feed, and have a good clean up crew. These are just a few things, but they made a big difference for my algae issues.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you were into sps and reefing, I have to think that all you'll be thinking about while looking at your planted tank is how it's not a reef tank :) I shouldn't generalize but sps keepers tend to fall at the top of the reef addiction hierarchy - lol.....if you start with quality water, get a good/variety CUC, take your time, and keep up with good husbandry, you should be able to keep your algae in check. You can do it!

oh, and don't boil your rock! this can be very dangerous

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would make it a planted tank and then buy a larger tank for sps. If that's not possible then go sps. I would def do bare bottom for sps and get some encrusting sps for the bottom

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys. That's the plan once we get into a bigger house. I plan on building a DIY PVC overflow behind my false wall and setting up a 10 gallon as a sump.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been thinking about building my own. I have drawn up a plan for my sump. I have a indifferent ideas. I'll post pics of my drawings once. I get home to my computer.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the pics I promised of the draw up for my sump. I'm not sure if I should have my overflow from my tank go into the algae scrubber or through the filter sock and skimmer first. The arrows show water flow.

Attachments

• 0819141619a.jpg
    0819141619a.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 187
  • 0819141619.jpg
    0819141619.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 228

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Talk me back into salt"

Sounds like you have already talked yourself back into it if you are posting this thread... Just do it and get that tank salty.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some say that the skimmer should receive raw aquarium water and to place all other filtration after that. I think the ats should go first imo.

OP
OP
lemonpeel

lemonpeel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been drawing up more drafts for my setup. [I'm still not quite sure what I want to do for sure.ATTACH]171545[/ATTACH]
uploadfromtaptalk1408574151630.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1408574118430.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1408574118430.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 156

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back