Who uses their sump/refuge for frags?

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know somebody locally that does this, I kinda wanted to try it out, but most of my coral is SPS, so I was hesitant that there would not be enough flow down there. Anybody on here doing this or have any success stories?

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do a few things like add pumps for circulation and better lights but then again your fuge area wouldn't be that anymore.

760mason

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I built my sump to have a 5 gallon fuge in it. It is now a frag tank. As I am using reactors. I am planning on putting a RW 4 in it for water flow and a Kessil 150 to light it up.

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I keep my unused frag plugs in my fuge. LOL I have a frag tank set up separately. My take on frag tank needs and sump/fuge needs is that the two tend to clash on a few points like flow and lighting.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running an experiment with a 40 display fuge now. I have a kessil a150w 10k version for lighting. It is doing ok at growing macro and I have a Kenya tree and zoa that look ok in it but the monti cap frags aren't looking great but are holding there own but lost color.

reefcubed

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I designed my sump and had it custom built for my 93 cube to have a refugium and a frag rack. There is a removable divider in between to open it up entirely to acclimate a fish/provide more room for other endeavors. I have a Koralia nano for additional flow. But flow is also provided from the intake, the skimmer output and reactor output. I have two Fluval lights over the refugium and two truelumen pro LED strips over the frag rack. Those lights were recommended to me by Kevin Kohen of liveaquaria.

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

Instagram

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was on this thread a while back - and have a bit of advice for those that want to try this out. I started my sump in this direction but had to change it due to a few variables.
A lot goes on in our sumps that we dont do in the display. Dosing and such. So layout plays a large part in the success here on where and which chambers are draining into your frag area. Have a 3 chamber sump. 1st skimmer n junk 2nd frag 3rd return. I was hand dosing at the time and was an impatient doser.lol dumped it in into the 1st chamber. Kept having frags in the frag area having issues and was like hmmm. thought about it and of course - a huge wave of alk sup rolling over a frag rack is no good.

I am building a new sump with a frag station in it as I am sick of looking at a FT next to my display. Layout will def change. I want my frag area fed by the same water going up to the tank rather than from a chamber I often dose into etc and will be tied into the return to be fed only kind of like a recirculation. Just some food for thought.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe having it fed by the fuge could help any algae outbreaks in that area??? also using a black acrylic within the baffle to keep light in that area instead of all over the sump growing algae.

si reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is how my sump is set up.
First chamber- skimmer/ filter sock
Second chamber openfor frag or fuge
Third chamber return pumps one going back to display and one going to reactors.
the dosing is all done in third chamber going back to display. There is also black acyrlic baffles to limmit algae.
Trying to upload pic without luck from phone.

si reef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
frags in sump

Pic of tank and sump

Attachments

• 20141023_202614.jpg
    20141023_202614.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 176

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back