Zoa help!!!!

carolynthefairyprincess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a month ago, I purchased some Zoas from my LFS. They are just average cheapie Zoas. I dipped them for 7 mins when I got them home in coral rx. They opened up in the tank and a few days later (about a week) they all closed up and didn't come out for about week. So I did a fw dip on them. A few have opened up (only one was mostly open, the rest weren't open that much). I am not sure what to do. I want to order a 100$ zoa pack but I'm worried that if this one is infected that it would spread to the $$$ Zoas.

I have a 2- 150w metal halide light fixture. NH4=0 nitrates=5 nitrites=0 ph=8 dkh=11 ca=460ppm

Does anyone have any thoughts about what to do? Do I frag the one semi happy polyp? Do I throw them out? Do I wait on the pack order?

Thanks!!

Browncoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Iodine dip, coral rx dip, or similar. I wouldn't do a fw dip on zoas is pretty stressful. Also your dkh is a little high shoot for 8 or 9

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you running any carbon?? Mine start closing up when my carbon is exhausted. I don't know whats in my water or why but some of mine close up some. Replace carbon and within a day or 2 back to normal. Think maybe some chemical warfare in my tank

Browncoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would give it 4 days or so before you do anything to them. Lower your dkh by water changes if your salt is a lower dkh then what your tank is. If they came from lower lighting tank @ the lfs it may take a bit to adjust to your halides so keep them on the sand bed.

Zoas are not sps they are softies. You can run carbon with anything but needs to be of good quality and make sure it's rinsed well and non of the dust bypasses the reactor/media bag as it can irritae livestock/corals. But if there is toxins it will help to remove them.

Also use rodi water for anything! Unfortunately you can pay for a high end anything pack and the same thing can happen. Nothings rock solid when your dealing with fragile livestock. I would get more practice @ keeping corals, treating them when you get them home, your requirements for that coral, ect.. Before throwing money @ high ends. Just some advice :)

Last edited:

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good advice. I have a mix of everything in my tank. I run carbon for that reason. I target around 8dkh and 450 calcium. Only thing if they were opened up for a few days then closed I wonder if one of your fish may be nipping at them also, may want to watch for a not so nice fish also.
I would give it 4 days or so before you do anything to them. Lower your dkh by water changes if your salt is a lower dkh then what your tank is. If they came from lower lighting tank @ the lfs it may take a bit to adjust to your halides so keep them on the sand bed.

Zoas are not sps they are softies. You can run carbon with anything but needs to be of good quality and make sure it's rinsed well and non of the dust bypasses the reactor/media bag as it can irritae livestock/corals. But if there is toxins it will help to remove them.

Also use rodi water for anything! Unfortunately you can pay for a high end anything pack and the same thing can happen. Nothings rock solid when your dealing with fragile livestock. I would get more practice @ keeping corals, treating them when you get them home, your requirements for that coral, ect.. Before throwing money @ high ends. Just some advice :)

OP
OP
C

carolynthefairyprincess

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know the Zoas aren't sps but I do have a couple pieces. And I do use ro/di water with everything. :) that is good advice. How do I check the dkh on my salt mix? Is it on the bucket? How do you tell good quality carbon?

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good quality carbon by brand names. U get what you pay for. It sounds weird. But i think zaos ate harder to manage then we give them credit for. I posted a pic of mine who all closed the advise i was given was to wait it out. End result. Theyre all back open ! And look better then before. Try placing them in different spot in the tank. Maybe too much. Too little flow ?

Browncoat

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or to much light or not enough, they are finiky sometimes. And honestly I have better luck with some of the other coral lps, sps. To check your salt mix, mix it up in your bucket for 24 hours then check it like you would your tank @ the specific gravity u use. I use 1.025. And @ the temperature you keep your tank. Brand Name basically on carbon. I use bulk reef supply. But I only use it once a month for a day or so I don't like to run carbon 24/7. Everyone has their own preferances tho.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back