Need help bringing life to my 5 year old tank

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, new to the forums, the names victor ill start with a little background first

i have a 125 gallon tank that i had since oct 09. from 09-2013 ive always had it as a FOWLR, however january 2013 wanted to get into the reef game. i love soft corals (leathers, muchrooms, xenias ect.) corals that sway with the water and such.
so i did my research and bought some key things i believed i needed. so ill start with a equipment list.

125 gallon all glass non reef ready tank (using overflow box and u-tube)
~130-140lbs LR in display and ~10 LBS LR in sump
~100lbs Sand
(4) Aqua illumination Vega LED units with controller
ATO system
(2) MP40's
trigger systems Ruby 36s sump
reef octopus int-3000 protein skimmer
RO/DI unit

so in january i purchased the sump, protein skimmer, ATO, and led lighting( from 2009-2013 i was running a wet/dry with a small like DIY prtein skimmer which the fishtstore gave me and i was running t-5's) i did my research and many people said a sump is a must, RO/di and lighting are what you mostly ned.. the rest is all test kits and possibly dosings.

2009 (yes thats a xenia in the center lol friend of mine gave it to me for a "test" obviously i wasn't ready
photo 4.JPG

March 16, 2014
photo 1.jpg

so i did the sump change and all, i have been busy with work since april til now so i havent paid much attention to tank but i did my routine bi-weekly 10 gallon water changes.
but now im back and going to be more focused on tank.

so lets start with the basics i guess on somethings i have noticed from lets say since the change.

#1 i for some reason cant keep chaeto alive, i dont understand why (test parameters will be written on a later post tonight once i get home i will test water)
ive gone through 2 sandwhich bags full of chaeto.. below is the current one in the tank sorry for lame picture lol. it was bigger than it is now. ive gotten people telling me "it needs to tumble and be free in the water to float around" some others have said "try to put it in a basket and leave it close to the light" so first 2 sandwhich bags i have tried to let it tumble and they just disintergrated. this is have left in the basket.. its been "alive" for a good 5 months but its slowly getting smaller and smaller.

photo 8.jpg

#2 about a month ago i started noticing these algae growing on my sand bed. i would usually just comb the sand bed and it would be gone.. however now i comb the sand bed and it comes bad very quickly "within like 2 days". ive asked if its that algae that starts with a "C" (cant remember name right now as i type lol) but people have told me its to light to be that.. people thought it was diatoms but it looks too dark. again parameters coming soon. an help as far as getting rid of this would be great

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 281
  • photo 6.jpg
    photo 6.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 287
OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#3 i see everyones sump and its all nice and clean but mine is dirty lol should i scrape the insides and such? leave the algae on the walls? inside the sump i have 3 large pieces of LR, and those 3 pieces do have a black algae on them (ill try to take a pic).. so this little area has the ball of chaeto.. the flood light right over it... and the heater. to the right is the return pump and i also have a BRS dual media reactor which i currently do not have running. i previously have had it running carbon and gfo but i suddenly saw this algae break out so i said maybe thats whats causing it?
photo 7.jpg

#4 is basically the main thing which is me filling this tank up with soft corals.. easy corals to keep. i love corals that sway with the water. right now my green mushrooms are blooming like crazy they grow and grow. my finger leather has gotten a little bit smaller but i just recently moved it so maybe it needs time to open up. about a month ago i got another green leather and its blooming and open like crazy. i currently dont dose the tank at all.. if i have to i will ill be happ to take some time out of my days and dose if it will look as beautiful as other members reefs on this site.
it just stinks when you hear people say like "yea xenia and GSP are easy to take care of.. and then its like put them in my tank and they die within a month -_-.. AND... it sucks t hear "oh your water might be to clean -_- i feel like i cant win haha

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

not sure why it keeps rotating my pictures but heres photo of new green leather i had for a month and also the green mushrooms.. if you see the sand bed you can see some of the algae i was talking about

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its hard to tell but the algae could be cyano. Is it a little slimy and can usually be kept in check with better water flow. The algae on the glass in the sump looks like coralline and I would leave it. Def run your carbon in a softie tank as they are some of the worst at chemical warfare. Leathers and mushrooms look good. I love softies myself and have three toadstools in my 20 and plan to get more.

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those leathers are gorgeous, very vibrant colors :]

As far as your algae problems, have you considered using the algae scrubber method? Some people find it very helpful as a permanent solution for nuisance algae.

Here's a useful thread on how you can build your own:
https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/equipment-lighting-hardware-aquarium-filtration/86207-lowest-cost-easiest-way-eliminate-green-hair-bubble-turf-slime-algae-your-aquarium-hopefully-permanently.html

If you do build one, we'd love to see some photos, so feel free to share! :]

Hope this helps

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm very interesting read on the scrubber... but people are saing the scrubber elimnates the need for a refuge? scrubber seems like a very simple diy.. i wonder however instead of a air stone would i be able to take a maxi jet and put the airline tubing this way it blasts micro bubbles? anyone try this

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also make a gravity scrubber very easy. Algae scrubbers.net has lot of info also. I have never been able to grow chaeto either

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can also make a gravity scrubber very easy. Algae scrubbers.net has lot of info also. I have never been able to grow chaeto either
yes ive seen the waterfall type and the airstone type.. both very smle.. i think i would take the airstone way as im always terrified of water that is like falling and or like out of sump area lol.. knowing my luck the waterfall will fall outside of the ump and all over my floor

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hmmmm very interesting read on the scrubber... but people are saing the scrubber elimnates the need for a refuge? scrubber seems like a very simple diy.. i wonder however instead of a air stone would i be able to take a maxi jet and put the airline tubing this way it blasts micro bubbles? anyone try this

I guess that depends on the purpose of the fuge. There are some things a fuge can do that a scrubber can't. I myself am a fan of running both in certain situations

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that depends on the purpose of the fuge. There are some things a fuge can do that a scrubber can't. I myself am a fan of running both in certain situations
i would run both i mean the scrubber looks like itll take up a side in the fuge really.

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok tested water..
salinity = 1.025
ammonia = 0
nitrite=0
ph=8.2
nitrates = 10
Calcium = 480-500mg/l (ppm)
KH = 143.2ppm
phosphate = .5

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits do you use and what salt mix do you use. Nitrates are ok for softies and even for some LPS that are found in lagoons. Would like to see phosphates lower, calcium as well since you don't have anything that uses it. Alk is on the lower end but ok.

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have 2 test kits; currently at work so i dont know the exact namesss... but i believe the calcium,kh,phosphates, and nitrates are from API.. the other test kit did the ammonia, ph, nitraite and nitrates... both nitrates from both test kits matched up. when i get home i will look at what the otehr test kit name was lol

as far as salt mix i use tropic marine PRO REEF

do you think salinity is high? i believe it is.. sunday is waterchange day so im planning to probably replace it with new salt water mixed at 1.021 (and yes of course i run a RO/DI unit lol)
and the salinity is taken from a refractometer from marine depot

as far as algae scrubber; it looks fairly simple to make... i see people using red leds... should i do that? i have many car auto leds and i have many red led strips maybe i can wire like 3 strips or even cover the whole entire take out container?
also any ideas on what dimensions i should look into making the scrubber? if it was me i would put the biggest piece i can lol but i dont wanna overkill it

Last edited:

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No salinity is not high I keep mine at 1.026. In the red sea salinity can be as high as 1.030. I would get titration test kits for alk and calcium also magnesium. I would also invest in a ph meter or monitor. I don't think you can make scrubber too big.

Bluelobstor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make ats too big but having a larger than needed ats would allow you to feed heavier and allow for a larger bioload. Imo generally bioload capacity is reached before physical space limitations in most situations.

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can make ats too big but having a larger than needed ats would allow you to feed heavier and allow for a larger bioload. Imo generally bioload capacity is reached before physical space limitations in most situations.

ATS? whats that abbreviated for lol

OP
OP
rcdude

rcdude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any opinions on instead of a airstone for the ATS i can possibly use a maxi jet with the airline to shoot micro bubbles?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 83 87.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back