What are the things you see on online stores that make you stay away?

footballdude2k3

Acroholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are checking out a new website for the first time that sells things in our hobby, what makes you say, no thanks?

For me, if a place is a chop shop, no thanks, and if they are trying to sell things that are not in the hobby, i.e acan maxima, I move on pretty quick as well. Also, if a place has ridiculous prices on things that should not have a ridiculous price, or no guarantee on shipped livestock, I bid that place adieu.

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think I will ever buy online. I am completely turned off by the shipping charges and I prefer to be able to see exactly what I am buying in person.

Tx Medic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excessively low prices, makes me wonder what's wrong with them. Unless it's a live sale from a reputable seller then it's on.

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been sending emails to different places just to see how helpful they are and what there response times are. Before I even buy. Just to see how there customer service is.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the e-mails. Gives you the opportunity to see how knowledgeable they are about what they sell. Unfortunately, some never respond and therefore do not get my business.

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very low prices scare me or really high shipping costs. It seems like the vendor is trying to make some extra money when their shipping costs are significantly higher tha nany other vendor.

Ibassfsh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not rely on online store to know what you should know. Research what you want online, shop around for lowest price, and buy it. They don't know what your preferences are. They may try to sell you something you don't want or need.

Planedoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I buy almost everything online. It's where your local fish store buys the products they sell. There are many reputable companies and many more that will just take your money. You have to do a little research. I've got most of my prized fish from Blue zoo and Dr foster and Smith. I've never quarantined and I've never had a problem. In Indianapolis after looking at the fish in the tanks of all the stores except PA. I would never chance putting any live stock from any of those systems in my tank. The good vendors have to protect their reputation and do a good job isolating tanks and making sure the fish are disease free. Bla bla bla you can argue but I've been inside the Live aquaria store in Wisconsin and you can see that they take drastic measures to protect the fish and the consumer. All my LFS have diseased fish in their tanks. Except PA. Shipping can be an issue but I usually qualify for free shipping so it's not an issue for me. I have beautiful tangs with no scars, no discoloration or any flaws at all. I hardly ever see perfect specimens at any if the LFS.

Last edited:

jordan banks

unregistered
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High prices on corals that should not be that high. For example, I sell corals locally and I know how easy they are to grow I look at my price and look at their price and yeah... I laugh... And say no thanks. I know the average price range on most of the species in the trade. Also communication. If the vendor sucks about getting back with you, there's probably something VERY wrong. I get back with my customers immediately because I want to make that sell.

jokerman826

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I avoid places that charge shipping per piece. Also ones that charge shipping based on how much you spend (I.e. the more you spend, the higher the shipping cost). I will also get opinions based on what other people think.

TheChef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
High prices on corals that should not be that high. For example, I sell corals locally and I know how easy they are to grow I look at my price and look at their price and yeah... I laugh... And say no thanks. I know the average price range on most of the species in the trade. Also communication. If the vendor sucks about getting back with you, there's probably something VERY wrong. I get back with my customers immediately because I want to make that sell.

+1
having worked at a wholesaler I know how cheap (especially the aquacultured or in house grown frags) the coral is. Inventory loss and profit margins only explain so much, but $4-500 per polyp or frag? Just ripping people off at that point

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back