Base rock cycle

SaltyH20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a sps only tank, just got 30 lbs of base rock, if I take my established water from my main display 60 gallon and put the rock in a tub with it, power head and heater will this get the cycle rolling as I do the rest to get the tank running, maybe a month, any tips on helping this speed up I plan on feeding the bucket every 2 or 3 days, no rush on the cycle I have nothing but time, just wondering if this will help the cycle time when I'm ready for the rock, no sand, 30 breeder, 2 ocean revive artics, skimmer?. Any recommendations total volume around to gallons, thanks

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water from a runnning tank will not have the nitrfying bacteria that you want so the cycling process is not helped in any way. You could add bottled bacteria and that would speed up the process.

OP
OP
SaltyH20

SaltyH20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it help to seed with a piece of rock from my display, either way it was just a good reason for a water change. I may have a bottle of the bacteria if I'm not mistaking

vic67

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, LR from your established tank and a cupful of the sand would be a big help.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back