Using bleach to clean floors with fish tank in same room (need advice)

kandymann

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Guys

I have a fish room in my basement. The room has no doors and is open to the entire basement. We have had some major plumbing problems but not because of the fish tanks. It's because the septic system is backing up. Yeah, it's a nightmare. So we plan on cleaning the floors tomorrow using bleach. How bad is bleach evaporation in the atmosphere concerning my fish tanks? The septic water never reached the room where my tanks are but it's in other areas of the basement.

I am going to take precautions to seal up access to the room with plastic. Anyone have any experience with this?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have no real options here and you have to do it. Is there any chemicals that are not as nasty as bleach you can use though?
I'd say seal up the tank as best as you can, seal up the door way to the room, turn off your skimmer and add a few fans to circulate air and blow it out of the basement. Water changes afterwards and running carbon would be good too, just in case.

ISR Jimmy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kandymann,
If possible, I would recommend using one of those high speed steam mops. Not sure if we can say a name brand in here. I have one in my house and use it for my kitchen and bathrooms to disinfect without the use of chemicals. Works great since I didn't want to use anything harsh on the travertine. Makes quick work for spills too. I'm not sure if the bleach would be harmful or not, but this may help to mitigate risk while achieving your goals.

Just my 2 cents

James

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 40 58.8%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 18 26.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back