RAP vs MACNA

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion the two shows are similar in some respects and very different in others. RAP, from its inception early on taking place in a backyard, has always been a frag swap with some manufacturers thrown in for good measure. Granted it is a frag swap on steroids, but I believe that emphasis is definitely on folks selling frags and fish. MACNA definitely has its share of exhibitors selling frags, but the emphasis is more on education. Now I know that RAP does have some speakers, but MACNA averages anywhere from 24 to 30 speakers over the course of 3 days. The exhibit hall is much larger and has a lot of the top manufacturers as exhibitors. You can meet the designers face to face and talk to them about their products and future plans for updates and improvements.

Since I live in San Diego, I have the pleasure of being able to attend RAP here in SoCal. I go every year. I also go to MACNA. Two different yet similar shows. There is no reason to not go to both. :)

pciscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Macna is a social event that has a great following, I agree it focuses on education and the industry leaders roll out new products at this conference. If you buy a full conference pass now it starts at $89 and will go up to $175 per person as it gets closer to the date. My wife and I have made it a yearly vacation and have already signed up for a trip to our Capital.

I like the frag swap on Steroids analogy. Reefapalooza is a coral show with many manufacturers that is expanding to different venue's. Reefapalooza Orlando was a great success and there will be a New York area show next year as well. Some speakers, but more eye candy when it comes to coral. Also at $15 per day Rap tends to pull more new people into our great hobby and some of these new people go coral crazy and end up at Macna.

Both great shows and I invite all of you to come to Rap, it does get better every year and I am proud to be part of the club that puts on the show.

I would not miss either if you are looking for crazy colors for your tanks:)

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 19.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 70 41.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back