Speeding up Coral Growth.....

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried to speed up coral growth by going 6 on, 6 off, 6 on, 6 off on their light schedule? Would this even work with good results?

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive herd of people growing plants with an "extended photocycle" of say 17 on 12 off, but idk if thatd be good for corals, because it could raise their exposure to PAR and could possibly bleach them(?) as for a reduced photocycle, idk..

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. It's not a natural light cycle. just let them grow. I know it's hard but nothing good happens when you try rushing things. you can try a little extra light or feeding depending on the coral.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do it. It's not a natural light cycle. just let them grow. I know it's hard but nothing good happens when you try rushing things. you can try a little extra light or feeding depending on the coral.
+1 on the feeding, feed them as much as you can without comp water quality

Rpujol85

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Couldn't really say. I don't think it could do that much harm to give it a try.

As for plants, I have only heard of extended light cycles (24/0, 20/4, 18/6, etc). I don't know first hand nor read real research, but I think these types of light cycles would tend to stress corals, never mind any fish you might have.

OP
OP
StikHedRon

StikHedRon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just curious if it can be done. I know plants it can be but corals are a bit different and they only use about 5 hours of light anyways so how long does it take for them to process that light they have taken in is the question....

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a tough question, not a whole lot is known about this yet, there just isnt any research being conducted. Anything and everything we do know about corals came from the past 20 or 30 years. I personally have corals that are well known in the trade but have no information out there about them whatsoever (try doing a wiki search on exact species on say acanthastrea, and you will find links to 8 species that you can click to further your study, and yet another 8 that has no info or page devoted to it, just a red name and discovery date) You could do research for days on plants without hitting any such dead end. If your willing to let your tank be a test subject, you should study as much as you can on zooxanthellae and see what you come up with.. but most of our equipment and routines we put around our tanks are for the soul purpose of replicating nature, where you see the biggest and baddest corals of them all

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i have herd this theory... there was a guy who had his led setup to run "storm mode" and the lights would slowly dim, then flash random patterns.. he stated that he believed the corals always reaching and contracting respectively, was like a "coral workout" of sorts and he believed they grew stronger and larger because of the constant up down/ in out movements the random flashes of light would make them do

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now i have herd this theory... there was a guy who had his led setup to run "storm mode" and the lights would slowly dim, then flash random patterns.. he stated that he believed the corals always reaching and contracting respectively, was like a "coral workout" of sorts and he believed they grew stronger and larger because of the constant up down/ in out movements the random flashes of light would make them do

Interesting, I was told it stressed them out. Maybe I should enable the feature on my hydras and freak my wife out again :)

sanchoy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind that corals are not plants they are animals. They are very different.

Actually and technically plants are animals also. Venus fly trap? Like corals they retract , feed, and react to their environment.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
animal
noun
a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

that would by definition make a fly trap an animal.. woah

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
animal
noun
a living organism that feeds on organic matter, typically having specialized sense organs and nervous system and able to respond rapidly to stimuli.

that would by definition make a fly trap an animal.. woah

Mind. Blown.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back