An unforeseen disaster

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Durring recent storms my apartment flooded causing mold everywhere in my apartment i finally have a tank thats been running healthy no problems crystal clean water healthy anems abd corals and great fish. But now im forced to move. How do i save my live stock ?? How can i set my tank back up without it doing a recycle please help ! Im desperate

rock_lobster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pack up all your rock and sand and save as much water as you can. The "cycling" part is the microbes that live in the rocks and sand they will survive as long as nothing drastic happens like massive swing in temperature. Add them to your new setup and it should be good to go. Test for ammonia and nitrates. do a few water changes if necessary and have some ammonia lock on hand if things start going wrong.

OP
OP
ReeferRookie

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luckily its one apartment to another. Maybe get a strong friend and drain a few gallon and walk the tank to the new apartment ? Haha

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have to completely break it down to get it moved? Most problems that I have seen or read is when you disturb the sand bed. If you do have to break it down completely then get the livestock, most of the water, and rock out first. Have some extra saltwater on hand and vacuum the sand bed as best you can before setting the tank back up. I would have some microbacter as well as Prime on hand. Dose the microbacter in when you set it back up and test frequently for ammonia. With some care and precaution you can get it moved with little to no losses.

OP
OP
ReeferRookie

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No its from one apartment to ankther its only 36 gallons and the sand bed is only 7 months old. Cant be too many nitrates ? Should i remove all the sand and go bare bottom ?

clownfitch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's 36 gallon the you and a buddy should be able to move it after taking out half or more of the water. Do a thorough rock and sand cleaning before the move.

OP
OP
ReeferRookie

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good im just worried for my corals. Finally life was taking off in my tank and im at risk of losing it all

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get the sliders that help move heavy furniture and stick them under the stand if this is possible. Drain out maybe half your water and take out rocks that are easy to remove or might fall over. Then get one or two people to help you and you might be able to walk the tank over to your new apartment. I moved a 14 gallon like this without taking out any water or rock.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.2%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back