Hello new to the site. I am looking to buy my 1st tank, what is a good size for

Mowen44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a 1st timer? I live in Fort Lauderdale Florida and have plenty of space in my house? This will be my 1st Saltwater tank and I would like to start a reef? My budget is $600 and I am looking a several used tanks. Do you think a 100 gallon is to much for a 1st timer? Any comments or suggestions I would love.

Thank You very Much

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think a 100 gallon is too much for a 1st timer :) most will say it's better to go big in the beginning because the bigger tank allows more room for errors....

I would try to get as much equipment as possible with the tank

Russellaqua

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with fishroomlady above. Many would say a larger tank is easier or more forgiving for a beginner, and I would agree with that. The effects of evaporation are lessened in comparison to a small tank. That being said, a 100 gallon tank will cost much more to set up than a 50 gallon tank. A $600 budget might not buy you a lot of high-quality new equipment, especially after you buy any live rock and sand. Some people advocate for 1lb rock/gallon, though this is contentious, and that by itself could easily use up the entire $600. If anyone near you is getting out of the hobby you might be able to get some very good deals on a tank, equipment, and rock. Be sure any rock is pest-free. Good luck and happy hunting! It's an addictive hobby.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME TO R2R. And yes buy the biggest aquarium you can afford.

saltyphish

Certified Sand Groomer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree definitely not to big. What happens is you would end up like me if you bought a smaller tank. You will quickly start to realize how much you want a bigger tank and have already spent your money on the smaller tank. Plus as mentioned water para will be easier to keep stable and more forgiving than a smaller tank.

Waarrpped

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to let you know, if your going big (which is a good idea) just invest in a rodi filter and water storage. You will get sick of hauling buckets from the LFS lol

Jurel6570

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree spend a little more up front. I started with a 29. Had it for 6 months and it is no where big enough. Looking into a 90. Lol

lsudiva

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As the owner of a LFS, I always tell people to go as big as your budget and space allows. And above all, don't cut a bunch of corners on equipment. The more water you have, the easier it is to maintain, but there is a price swing with treating more water. 100 gallons, IMHO, a great size to cut your teeth on, however, spending a total of $600 on setup isn't likely to set you up with good results, even with mostly used equipment. I'm not saying to break the bank, just know what you're buying, do your research, and know that sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Joe G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
100 gal is a great start .
I also live in south fl and if I were u I would check Craig's list everyday till u find a good deal.
$600 is a good start but equiptment adds up quick .
It took me months to get my tank up and running.
Just be patient .
I am Selling my old 55 gal if your interested.
Tank ,stand, canopy, t 5 / vho lighting,
Wet dry filter, skimmer , sand ,power head, uv filter, two nice rocks .
Some soft corals.
Green star polyp
Various polyps
Xyenia's
Colt coral
If interested pm me 250 cash and u can spend the rest of the budget on live rock and some live stock .
Good luck it's a awesome hobby

Back