Frogspawn and 21 Other Corals - Are they About to be Banned?

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was told that around the time of MACNA (I think the Exact Date wat August 27th but I could be off) that wholesalers had 30 Days to bring in Branching Frogspawn and then they would be banned from being taken from the wild.

Is this True?

Will Branching Frogspawn and the other 21 Corals be Banned From Entering the US on September 27th?

I was told that some Wholesalers have already been Threatened by Authorities.

Are we going to see the most commonly imported coral not in LFS's anymore?

Also, they do not want us to take out Corals from the Ocean but I have heard Reports from Scientists that there will be Absolutly No Coral in the Ocean by as Early as 2030 due to Rising Water Temperatures.

If that is true you think that they would be begging us to take stuff out of the Ocean because it is all going to Die Anyways.

Hobbyists will be the Ones that Save the Coral Not Destroy It.

This makes No Sense!

3Twinklets

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Read this: at PIJAC.org
We are in the process of addressing this topic in this forum.

Ole Man

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbiest yes.....some vendors very iffe.....what iv'e seen on some vendors videos its nothing but ammunition for the goverment !!!! JMO.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just read this today and am very very confused.

Since that 4(d) rule has been published Elkhorn and Staghorn corals have been illegal to own, and difficult for researchers to work with. Interestingly, since some of you might not believe the ESA has “no effect” on CITES listings. Elkhorn and Staghorn corals are currently listed under CITES Appendix II which applies worldwide. So technically even though Elkhorn and Staghorn corals are not listed as endangered they are illegal to work with because of the threatened + the additional 4(d) rule provision.

If Elkhorn and Staghorn are illegal then why do I see them in LFS's?

Why does ORA Sell it?

Doesn't the no Elkhorn/Staghorn mean you cannot collect it in the Caribbean where it is quite rare aparently but it is not rare in other parts of the world?

Somebody please explain this.

OP
OP
that Reef Guy

that Reef Guy

Frag Swap Crusader!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, I was reading up on some other animals.

Apparently Axolotyls are almost extinct in the wild (Not threatened, not endangered, but almost completly gone from the wild).

Yet you can still buy them.

White Clouds are a Freshwater Fish that is Extinct in the Wild yet you can find them in any Pet Store (There are Zillions of them due to Captive Breeding - They are like 2.00 each).

So how can they say that Corals Labeled Threatened or Endangered will be Illegal to even own when there are so many other animals that are sold all the time and nobody talks about them like they are talking about Corals now?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back