Stocking a 27g Cube Help Please

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I had a 10 gallon with corals and 2 clowns for almost 3 three months. Today I upgraded to the Marineland 27g Cube and I love it. Now that I got it all set up, I'm looking at adding a few fish (slowly of course) and I really would appreciate all your inputs. I pretty much have a solid list of what I would like to get it. Here's the list:

2 Ocellaris Clownfish
1 Firefish Goby OR 1 Yellow Watchman Goby (I've read that they can aggressive towards each other)
1 Blue Eye Royal Dottyback OR/AND 1 Royal Gramma Basslet
1 Tailspot Blenny OR 1 Court Jester Goby
1 Cleaner Shrimp
1 Emerald Crab

I currently have 25 lbs of LR and 20 lbs of live sand with a CUC (ceriths, nerites, nassarius, 3 hermits). I would love to hear some opinions! Thanks in advance!

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dotty and basslet might bully everything else. You wouldn't have a problem with the clowns, a firefish, and a blenny.

If you really like the dotty or rirsk gramma, add them last and get the smallest one you can find. That would pretty much be your limit in the 27g.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dotty and basslet might bully everything else. You wouldn't have a problem with the clowns, a firefish, and a blenny.

If you really like the dotty or rirsk gramma, add them last and get the smallest one you can find. That would pretty much be your limit in the 27g.

Would I be able to get both the dotty and basslet?

cope413

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not recommended, but it's possible. I don't think you'd want to add any other fish if you have the clowns and those 2. I would add the dotty after the gramma if you choose to go that route.

Marine Iguana

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be pushing it, depending on what filtration you have. Both tend to be very territorial fish, especially the dottyback.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It would be pushing it, depending on what filtration you have. Both tend to be very territorial fish, especially the dottyback.

The dotty is the real issue. Everything else would likely get along fine with each other.

Awesome. Thanks guys I really appreciate it! Dottyback is off the list then. I'll just get the Gramma and the rest.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What about sexy shrimp??? They are awesome!!!! Love mine

I'm not familiar with Sexy Shrimp, but I did start looking them up since you mentioned them and they look very cool. I read that if they start getting hungry they can eat zoanthids. What would be the best food to feed them? I'm using NLS, I was wondering if that would be sufficient? I also read that they should be in groups, is this true?

I'd suggest making sure the Blenny eats flakes at your LFS. If it's only eating algea you might want to wait on adding it until your rock matures.

I'm special ordering the Blenny and the LFS is holding him for me until I get there, so I really wouldn't know.

Emerald crabs could bother sexy shrimp if they start getting hungry.

I decided not to go with the Emerald Crab because I've read mixed reviews about them. I really do like the Sexy Shrimp, I just don't know much about them so I'll keep reading about them.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine pellet food. I have 2 small groups, they hang out together. The ones in the dt are always on my monty they live under one of the ledges. In the display fuge they are everywhere. Not noticed them eating and zoa as the frag rack in fuge has zoa on it

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed mine pellet food. I have 2 small groups, they hang out together. The ones in the dt are always on my monty they live under one of the ledges. In the display fuge they are everywhere. Not noticed them eating and zoa as the frag rack in fuge has zoa on it

How many would you recommend I should get? Do you target feed them?

The Kahnasaur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had my own sexy's but I've watched them in various tanks a good amount. I'm a big fan of them, but my hawk and wrasse have told me shrimps of any kind are unacceptable. I don't know if they have any social connection, but whenever their in groups they seem to bob their thoraxes more. I've seen them eat pretty much any fish food they can grab, so I'd say only target if you see them not grabbing anything. They tend to stay in specific areas and may retreat to hiding with curious fish. I think they'd be fine with your stocking selections. The dottyback/gramma may be the only one that could bother them. I've never seen them in the same tank together, so that's all I'm basing that opinion off of. I bet they'd look nice in a small tank.

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never had my own sexy's but I've watched them in various tanks a good amount. I'm a big fan of them, but my hawk and wrasse have told me shrimps of any kind are unacceptable. I don't know if they have any social connection, but whenever their in groups they seem to bob their thoraxes more. I've seen them eat pretty much any fish food they can grab, so I'd say only target if you see them not grabbing anything. They tend to stay in specific areas and may retreat to hiding with curious fish. I think they'd be fine with your stocking selections. The dottyback/gramma may be the only one that could bother them. I've never seen them in the same tank together, so that's all I'm basing that opinion off of. I bet they'd look nice in a small tank.

The dottyback is off my list now, so that's not a concern anymore. The Gramma is the only that could bother them. I've read for the most part that they won't bother them. So I guess I will be finding out. I really hope they work. I plan on special ordering the sexy shrimp as well, how many do you think I should get, 2-3?

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 36.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 16.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back