First algae breakout!!

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So now i have some green algae growing in my sump, theirs also some purple, and clear type algae growing. What cuc should i place down in the sump to give it a good cleaning. Right now i have 1 blue leg crab, and about 7 snails in there. I'm starting to get brown algae in the display tank also. What will remove the brown algae. Becuase all of my CUC seem to not like eating brown algae!! help thanks

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to try and help although it would be nice for some additional info. You said its your first algae breakout? I assume that means its a very new tank.

The green algae you see is normal, and you will see that with a cycling tank. You can put some CUC in there but its not really nessecary as it will leave once things stabilize.

Typically purple algae is Coraline algae and its safe. If it is hard and attached to your glass / rock work chances are its that. You want to see it

The brown algae you are talking about sounds like diatoms to me. Crabs eat it, also some fish also eat it. Again, this will leave once everything is stable. However if you want to get rid of it throw some hermits on it, maybe a sea cucumber to churn the sand for you. fighting conch snails are great for churning the sand as well.

I am unsure of what the white algae is... Perhaps a pic? Could be a sponge.

That being said, it would be helpful if next time you included:

total tank cycle time. (how long its been up)

water parameters. (ammonia, nitrate, phosphate etc)

possibly pictures?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank has been running since June 1st. All of the parameters are incheck, the algae is located on the rockwork not on the sandbed. I have a orange goby and he covers the 40g pretty good. I'll post a picture in about 3 hours. About how many crabs should i put in a 40g B. Thanks for the input

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snails usually do a bang up job of keeping rocks cleaned. My algae blenny is always eating off my rocks as well. Don't panic, this is just the typical cycle IMO. For some it comes early, others takes time. No two tanks are the same as well.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya because i watched alot of peoples cycle on new reef tanks and everyone was getting there ammonia spike and brown algae at the same time. Mine cycle was ammonia jumped and everything went back to normal. One month later added 1 fish. Now here we are 4.5 months later just now getting my brown algae and a bit of green. In my 40g i have 2 blue legs, should i get some more," I had like 10 of them and one killed the others"? Thanks

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 15-20 crabs 15-20 snails in my 40g. Make sure to throw in some empty shells for them to get into so they don't fight

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If its in the sump, I'd leave it alone, generally when its down there for some reason it doesn't migrate to the DT. Thats where you want the stuff to grow.

OP
OP
Mstanker

Mstanker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
algae.jpg
The brown algae is in the DT tank, Also there some type of algae i cant seem to find a name for. outlined in red. This stuff is growing on some of the rockwork in the DT. I had to get rid of my GSP because it took over it.

Attachments

• algae.jpg
    algae.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 138

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back