Diablo DC 5500s Skimmer Pump Replaced with RODC 3500s - Performance woes?

richfavinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few weeks ago I had discovered that my Diablo DC 5500s Skimmer Pump (black) just up and DIED… No apparent cause. It had been running on my Diablo 200 INT skimmer for about 6 months. Flawless, and pulling out the nasty daily.

I contacted CoralVue support and they did take care of me. But strangely, they informed me that the replacement for this skimmer was now the RODC 3500s Skimmer Pump (white). Puzzled I questioned why. - It’s 1200lph vs 2000lph … they assured me that it is the replacement and that it’s more efficient then my old DC 5500s. So under warranty they sent the replacement at no cost.

First things apparent that it mounts reverse to the old pump, so I had to move a few things around the sump… Second thing is that I now have to dial in my skimmers gate valve about half-way (with the DC 5500s it was wide open), third… I raised my sump level from 6.5†to 8â€â€¦ and it still doesn’t seem like it’s producing nearly as much nasty as it did… The RODC 3500s is also running full speed on level 5, the DC 5500s typically ran well at level 4… (of 5)…

Did CoralVue neuter my skimmer? I’m not sure if the tank is simply running cleaner (it is light-med stocked) or my skimmers manhood has been taken. But, I don’t seem to get near as much nasty after running for 2-3 weeks now as I use to. - Before I was cleaning the cup every 3-4 days… Now we are not even close!
:squigglemouth:

Global

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible that the skimmer they replaced it with in fact was less efficient then your original, and as good as they were to replace it, they replaced it with a lesser/cheaper model?
That's sort of what it sounds like, but that's what you have to decide.

OP
OP
richfavinger

richfavinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Elite 200INT replaced my Diablo 200INT, and in fact the Elite 200 shows 3500s pump... The [FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Elite 220 shows the 5500S... (it's a whopping 1" bigger).[/FONT]

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They gave u a smaller pump than u had. I'm Sure it will work just not as well. Could need a bit of break in time also. I know mine doesn't skim well for a couple weeks after I clean the heck out of it.

OP
OP
richfavinger

richfavinger

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
heathd.hd --- yea, well it was cleaned and thus dry for a few days while waiting for the replacement. I'll give it a little more time... CoralVue insists it is the proper / now proper size they are using for that size skimmer... Just a little bummed is all. ... I have a lengthy e-mail from CV stating that I'd be so impressed with this "more efficient" and well preforming pump... and how the newer 5500S would simply be too powerful...

So far it's nothing but smoke.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back