Want To Add Corals , Need Help Please

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there everyone, im new to this hobby and i dont really know what i need to do in order to start adding corals to my tank. The tank has been running for 3 months now and seems to be doing well so far. I currently have 1 clownfish 2 snails and 2 hermits in the tank. My water parameters are fine ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.4 but i know i need to start testing for different things like calcium and stuff like that. What should i test for ? And should i be dosing my tank with any kind of supplements ? All i really want to add for now are zoanthids, star polyps, pulsing xenia and maybe a ricordea if i can find one at my LFS. I know there are some experts on this forum so i hope to get some great info and tips from all of you. Thanks for any help :)

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With those coral you shouldn't have to dose. I would check calcium, alkalinity, nitrate and phosphate or I do weekly or biweekly.

Mdiaz2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoanthids and Xenia are relatively easy and quick growers, the ricordea won't be as easy but they aren't too hard either, remember always have good water quality.
What lights are you currently running?
And +1 JOKER, you don't need to dose for those coral...

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have to check for calcium alkalinity and phosphate? I dont have test kits for those yet but what should the levels be one those 3 ? And if they are not right what do i need to do ?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everyone will tell you something different when it comes to what levels to keep parameters at. I think it would be easiest to look at the salt mix your using and try to keep your levels at about the levels on the label. That way should be easier until you get a bit more experience and want to experiment with the numbers a little. My advice would be to get used to keeping corals alive before you get too far into dosing and stuff, it can be a bit overwhelming at first, so a basic knowledge and a bit of experience of coral husbandry is a great first step.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium anywhere from 380-450 I think are acceptable, alk from 7-11 dkh, phosphate the target is .03 or below but all of these are what your tank does best at. Some coral do better with more phosphate and nitrate. You just have to get tank established and see what everything likes. Recently I changed my lighting levels to combat algae and a few sps have browned out. They didn't like all the blue light so now I am adjusting a little daily until they are happy again. Every tank is different so the ranges for levels is so different from tank to tank. As for the coral you are starting with you are starting right. Just don't rush anything and take it slow. Add few fish at a time. As for coral you can add several at a time but I would ad a few and give them a few weeks to make sure you can keep them if not you will sink lots of money and have nothing to show for it. Patience and persistence is key.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice time and info man. Really appreciate it. Im really excited for some zoas lol my LFS has some real nice colonies and the tank is an 8 gallon cube.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool I recommend dipping them in bayer or something to get rid of pest before adding to tank. Just rinse well with tank water before adding to tank.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Zoas and ricordia are great choices. Most softies are forgiving. I have a 40 breeder with a zoa garden, 12 types. Several Ricordia, xenia. Great color with zoas and ricordia, can't go wrong.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear that i wont need any dosing. I dont think im quite there yet. But yeah, you cannot go wrong with ricordea and zoas. By far some of my favorites :) i know ricordeas do best in low water flow. At least thats what ive herd so far. Will a nano hydor koralia 240 circulation pump be fine ? My tank has very very little flow in it. I have some dead spots so i was planning on getting that pump.

finallysalty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my Ricordia in two areas one is shallow high flow and two of those broke loose and attached to a corner with low flow and are doing ok.
That pump should be good.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411103889.377229.jpg
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1411103900.917527.jpg
one of these two since my tank is rather small. But idk which to pick ?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd get the 18w one. You won't need the extra power on an 8 gallon softy tank, but it's nice to know you have it incase you decide to use it on a larger tank at one point or over a QT or something. Plus the other one is only 1W LEDs which we don't use much anymore. It will be quite white in colour, you may need some extra blue to balance it out a bit, but that's just a personal preference.

OP
OP
gmendez619

gmendez619

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess ill go with the 18w one, you said it would be quite bright in color ? Will that affect the corals or is that just something about looks and how people prefer their lighting ?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back