sps and sand

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Working on getting my tank going. Thinking mainly lps, but would like to do some sps as well. I have been researching and reading and notice something kinda peculiar to me.

Most peeps running sps say that sand is a detriment and can add to water quality issues. But when I look at pics, here or Facebook, I notice most tanks have sand in them. Whether full sps, lps/sps, or lps dominate with a few sps. Is sand as big a issue as I am thinking?

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really goes both ways I think... Personally I find that I have less algae issues if I go barebottom. This makes sense for my frag tanks.

For my DT I have about 1 inch of sand. It looks prettier but it will cause algae issues later, so I have to make sure I have good filter feeders for the sand bed and also need to make sure I siphon during WC.

Some people say that a 3-5 inch sand bed also acts as filtration. I personally cannot speak for this.

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A sand is just like live rock as it can add beneficial bacteria to the system. Many people will argue that is will cause detritus problems if not maintained witch can be true. Bare bottom id easier to maintain but many people prefer a sand bed to provide a more natural look to their tank.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mrcoffee, that is about what I am thinking...1" or so. Sand cleaners to help it stay clean. I am planning a remoter fuge that will hopefully help too.

Mike, that is where I am torn. Bare bottom sounds easier, but the natural look of sand sounds better. More pleasing to the eye.

How important is siphoning the sand during the water change? Doesn't this just let the nitrate back into the water column?

mike007

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do a sand bed you should vacuum out the top layer and you will be fine.

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Revisiting this as I am getting close to starting the tank up. Needing to finally decide whether to use sand or not in the display. Just went through what the wife and I want, and sps has been decided on.

I would like about a inch or so in the DT. I am running a remote fuge with a DSB. Will this work?

johnanddawn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course it will work, but I think the first question to ask yourself if your going to go sps is
Why do you want sand?
Are you planning on sand dwelling wrasses or something?
Is it aesthetics?
If there is a particular reason use it, but if it's just because some others do it than why?
Sand is not needed, starboard or some other material looks fine, and flow and maintenance is so much easier without it

OP
OP
rayn

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would say for aesthetic reasons mostly. While bb can be cool, I just like the look of sand. BUT if flow becomes a issue and sandstorms are the norm, then it doesn't seem worth it.

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally I like the look of sand. I like the natural environment look. I can run my 2 mp 40's at a 100% with no sand storm. But I'm sure it's way easier to keep nutrients down

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
personally I like sand and wrasses therefore I need sand lol. in this hobby there is no wrong or right only advice and opinion. do what you want and make it work. ive been told you cant do that! a million times, it may work for one and not another for you and not for me you know? take advice analyze it and make up your on mind what you think is better. good luck

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.3%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back