Ever just have a bad reefing day?

Bow

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much can possibly go wrong in one day of maintenance? Hmmm. Ripped the last filter sock, bricked 2 gen2 mp40 drivers, skimmer is overflowing so can't leave the plug in, and it's creating more bubbles then usual on the output sending micro bubbles across sump and into display. Good thing I like this dam hobbie

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes the days of coming home from work checking on everything to see it all running smoothly seem a lot better does it not.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
unfortunately, I think we've all had those days - like said above, it helps one appreciate the good days that much more!

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one of those days. Not fun!

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all do! Here's my latest frustrating evening...

It all started as just going after a normal routine wc and taking care of a bout of coral warfare that I noticed yesterday. Well...what started as one small little battle between an acro and a monti....ended up turning into like 6 separate instances of warfare. It's really bizarre because I keep a decent eye on things and I'm moderately certain that a lot of this happened almost over night. Everyone has been playing nice for quite some time...kind of caught me off guard to find so much. Well...after some intervention that took an hour or so, I was finally back on track for the wc. Everything went pretty normal...and then as I was finishing up, something strange caught my eye. I thought I seen something move in my overflow. Mind you that I haven't cleaned my overflow in...well...ok, I never have. After some investigation, I realized that one of my wrasse had leaped in. I had removed my covers to handle the coral warfare issue and apparently that was his cue to leap. There was no way I could get my hand in there..so I ended up having to shut the pump back down and pull the drain tube so that the overflow emptied.

In the end, what should have taken 30 minutes or so took about 3 hours. The good news is that I think my wrasse should be fine and I was able to knock out some maintenance and needed care. I have no idea how I managed to catch that my wrasse was in the overflow...but it was apparently not not his time to go!

I love reefkeeping.....I love reefkeeping....I love reefkeeping

jdl513

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it is just me but it seems the bad days tend to happen on inconvenient days!

Closest call for me came home from work to find the hose between my pump and reactor came off and proceeded to pump water onto the floor instead.
Thankfully my ATO system has a timer so if running more than 30 seconds will shut down so did not dilute my display with DI water.
Both the reactor and return pump were running essentially dry when I came home.
The pumps were not damaged, so after a lot of clean up and improvements to the reactor connections all was back to normal.

I was lucky!

Last edited:

big blue

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about making accidental frags of your expensive corals every time.you touch the tank huuuuhhh!!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turbo snail pushes all of my bird nest frags off the rocks and I have to try to find all the small frags and re glue them. Super annoying.

TitansFan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone want a free cat? Ran an RO line from ro/di filter to fill new tank and the wife's cat decides to chew holes in the line. At least this water spill can't be blamed on me!

Sangheili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About a year ago I came home to my Nuvo 24 cracked wide open down one side. 90% of the water on the floor.

That was a frantic night (my only saltwater tank). Ended up somehow saving most of the coral/fish despite them having to live in buckets/containers for a week or two.

Kendrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine isn't too bad since it happened on the unfinished side of my basement but:

Just last week I went to check the params off my water change water. I mix it in a 20g tank. One entire side of the 20g blew out and shattered into hundreds of pieces. I have no idea how it happened. That tank is in a corner of our basement where no one goes.

ReeferRookie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a tank crash. So yeah def had a bad bad reefing day it was filled with me rushing to save everything

reggaedrummin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop vac's are a great investment as well. :suspicious:
Oh I have a shop vac...my last tank didn't have an ato. I'd just run a line from my rodi and then get sidetracked and come back to a flood in my mixing container or even the tank once. I learned a lot about the value of a bigger sump in that endeavor...also float switches, alarms and the like

Back