Dry Rock Leaching unknowns???

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it be possible to get some dry rock that would have high levels of something (minerals of any sort) that could leach out and cause any kind of problems? I'm having a long running sps issue and the only possible thing I can think of is rock or sand. My fish all live, polyps check, but anything with a calcium skeleton either does not do well or in the case of my sps it puts on tremendous girth and encrusts but never branches. It's quite ugly actually. I also have never had luck with any inverts. 90% die within a week. This is a 3 year problem.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know that some dry rock leach phosphates pretty bad for awhile.

OP
OP
MattinIdaho

MattinIdaho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No never used before. It's Pukani from BRS. It wouldn't be a phosphate issue I don't believe. Something weird like a concentration of strontium or whatever that would allow fish to do fine and corals to hold color and grow but grow thick and encrust. It's not a flow issue. It's something that must be very very uncommon. The only thing I can narrow it down to is rock because I used this batch of rock in my 120 and 180 and have experienced the same problems. Everything else has changed. Sand, lights, salt equipment etc. It's the only possible explanation I can think of.
etc.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 32 17.3%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 34 18.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 42.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back