I need help learning reef lighting

MikeEyraud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased some reef radiance lighting. I love the lights. But I don't have any idea on how to acclimate my fish and coral to the lighting. They are the prostar 165 I believe. I dont know anything about uva im told I can blind my fish or bleach out corals. Any help would be appreciated.

Electrotech

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the intensity of light controllable? If it has dimmer knobs, turn them down to start to 20-30% and gradually turn them up over a week or so, keeping an eye on your corals for bleaching. They are pretty strong lights so I wouldn't go above 40-50% whites and 60-80% blues in the beginning until you know your corals need more light.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish you don't have to worry about, you can add them with the lights out or on, they will normally just run and hide.
As for the corals, you need to find out what lighting they came from, if it was LEDs then your all set, just place them. If not, then start them out at the bottom of the tank, with LEDs at 20%, move up 10% a week until disired strength is reached, normally around 60-70%. If you already have corals in the tank, put your new coral kind of in a shaded place for the week, and slowly bring it out into full light, then after a few weeks you can bring it up the rock ladder.

OP
OP
M

MikeEyraud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are dimmable yes.I would just like to add that these lights can blind fish because it did blind my clown fish. This was my fault for not researching this more before I just threw new lights on my tank. I had t5 lighting when they blew up I wanted to upgrade. When the new lights came in I couldnt wait. So I turned the lights on and as ive researched more. uv can hurt fish. I thank you for your help.

Back