Help with yellow tail damsel

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, i'm brand new to the aquarium world and I have a quick question. I have a 55 gal. saltwater tank and I bought 2 yellow tail damsels for the tank. They are doing great but realized that they should be bought in 3's. Should I add another one or leave it now that they are established in the tank.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, if it were my choice, I would remove them. Damsels are often extremely aggressive.

iagree_zps985f7080.GIF

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And from now on, always research before purchasing any livestock (this includes corals and inverts!) ;)

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as damsels go yellowtails are on the peaceful side. I would not add a third to two existing damsels as their territories are setup and they will give the new guya hard time. A 55g gives plenty of space between the two existing damsels to leave each other alone.

juggalogentry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went thru this before, added two bluefin damsels to my 60 gal bowfront. It was just after first cycle and they were very colorful especially with the blues, and since they are hardy i figured id start with them to get the tank going, (after first cycle i might add, i cycled strictly with liverock) All was sort of well, there was one mean one and one nice one, the nice would never chase the mean. After a few weeks went by i felt confident enough to add some more fish to the tank, this time the fish of choice being firefish goby (dartfish) Three of them. as soon as i acclimated to tank params, i put them in their new home. The mean damsel instantly swam to them and started backing into them, pushing them into the rocks, i watched in horror as one firefish had his back fin ripped off, so i did what my research told me and put a "bottle trap" in my tank, nope the damsels would rather die of starvation then go near the bottle, and after a few days of trying, i decided starving my tank inhabitants to entice just one, was not fair, there was only one other option, take down my aquascape and get him manually. The nice damsel died in the process and the firefish that was injured did not survive. Let me tell you, even with no rock in your tank it is near impossible to remove a devilfish like the damsel, after i got him out, i GAVE him back to the lfs, shaking my head at the man who told me they wouldnt fight. Since then ive researched everything i could about anything i add to my tank, here i am three months later, and peace has reigned supreme since the damsel episode (and my lfs now warns me with every fish that they may be aggressive, as if ill ever listen to his advice again, i know the difference now) damsels are not reef safe. not in my opinion

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one yellowtail in my 120 gal. added six fish since and it never bothers any others. it's one of the more peaceful damsels.

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, I have been doing my research but just like this forum
It is very confusing being new cause opinions and experience can be very different. I did add a new fish yesterday and everyone is getting along great. The guy at my lfs said this fish would be a great hardy fish to start my tank. Time will tell and I really appreciate everyone taking time out to help me.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is really hard as a newcomer to hear very different viewpoints on many things. As stated above, it is really important that you do your own research prior to purchase of new livestock......you can listen to the advice of your LFS but remember, they are ultimately in a business and make money by selling things. Fish of certain species can have a general temperament as a whole but there will always be differences in individuals as well as differences based on each individual set up. Damsels are usually pretty aggressive but yellow tails can be one of the more peaceful. The order that you add the fish can also contribute to their behavior - in that if you add a fish first, it is more likely to establish a territory and if it's a territorial type of fish most likely will get aggressive toward new inhabitants getting in their territory. If you add a more territorial fish last, you can lessen that tendency. Most damsels can be aggressive and territorial but there are some that are known to be less so. To give yourself the best chance of success, you can add the less aggressive types last. The problem with these fish and other hardy fish is that people add them as among the first inhabitants. Another thing to keep in mind is that clowns are also damsels with the same potential behavior tendencies.

once you do your research as you've been doing and read various opinions, you'll need to make the most informed decision you can. You'll find that to be true on many variables in this hobby :) Forums are an excellent resource to help give you advice.

IME, yellow tails are more peaceful than many damsels. I can definitely tell you to stay away from dominoes and black and white striped.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought my first fish a few weeks ago as well, and mine was a yellowtail, too. It's my understanding, that damsels are usually aggressive, but the yellowtail is the more peaceful of the damsels. Yeah, I have also heard it's a good idea to move around a few rocks in the tank to confuse the damsels a bit when adding new fish. Many people have different opinions on different fish and it's because, I believe, fish are like people you know? They all have their own personalities. Some are mean, some are nice. You'll just have to try it and see. If you get a bad tempered fish, take it to the LFS. they will usually take it off your hands and give you store credit or something. Having one damsel is probably ok. I'll soon find out because I'm getting a clown this weekend. I'll be sure to post here my experience. When I first put the clown in, I may isolate the damsel for a bit while the clown gets used to the water. I duno, maybe I'll try to put a glass jar over the damsel if I can catch the little bugger.

My yellowtail does seem to show a little attitude... but he leave the crabs and snails alone. hmm. I'm going to keep eye on this thread.

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gemini- please let me know how it goes with the clown fish and how many you put in your tank, that is the next fish I plan on getting. I also heard of feeding your fish and rearranging the rock before adding a new tank mate. Can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it is really hard as a newcomer to hear very different viewpoints on many things. As stated above, it is really important that you do your own research prior to purchase of new livestock......you can listen to the advice of your LFS but remember, they are ultimately in a business and make money by selling things. Fish of certain species can have a general temperament as a whole but there will always be differences in individuals as well as differences based on each individual set up. Damsels are usually pretty aggressive but yellow tails can be one of the more peaceful. The order that you add the fish can also contribute to their behavior - in that if you add a fish first, it is more likely to establish a territory and if it's a territorial type of fish most likely will get aggressive toward new inhabitants getting in their territory. If you add a more territorial fish last, you can lessen that tendency. Most damsels can be aggressive and territorial but there are some that are known to be less so. To give yourself the best chance of success, you can add the less aggressive types last. The problem with these fish and other hardy fish is that people add them as among the first inhabitants. Another thing to keep in mind is that clowns are also damsels with the same potential behavior tendencies.

once you do your research as you've been doing and read various opinions, you'll need to make the most informed decision you can. You'll find that to be true on many variables in this hobby :) Forums are an excellent resource to help give you advice.

IME, yellow tails are more peaceful than many damsels. I can definitely tell you to stay away from dominoes and black and white striped.
I think you meant "add the MOST aggressive ones last"?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi! First of all, WELCOME TO REEF2REEF!! We're glad you're here! I am sorry for the mixed reviews your getting on the damsels. As I understand your question, you weren't asking if you should get rid of them or not but whether or not to add a third. I agree with the post above that said that you should probably just leave them be at this point without adding another. I do recommend that when you add other fish, follow some recommendations given for disorienting the present occupants so that they may be more accepting of their new tankmates. Good luck and Happy reefing!! 1smile1

OP
OP
T

tffnycm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the welcome. I'm thinking of maybe trying to capture one of them and taking it back to my lfs. Does anyone have any ideas of what type of easy fish to add and in what order. Any suggestions would be great.

gemini9

Newb!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gemini- please let me know how it goes with the clown fish and how many you put in your tank, that is the next fish I plan on getting. I also heard of feeding your fish and rearranging the rock before adding a new tank mate. Can't wait to hear how it goes, good luck.

I brought my baby clown home today and acclimated him for several hours to make sure he'll be alright. I put him in the tank and he seems a little slow, sluggish and disoriented at the moment but I'm hoping he'll come around. As for the yellowtail damsel, I have had my aquarium lights off for about an hour and there's no sign of the damsel. I'm assuming he is hiding away sleeping, as he usually does at night. We'll see how they get along in the morning. At least he's asleep and giving my clown a chance to bounce up a little and get used to his environment.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back