Melanarus?

RoDogVillan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to add a melanarus to my reef and was wondering about compatibility and hardiness. Any advice?

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty little buggers, easily get sick, very dull in color, very aggressive, eats everything from other fish, inverts and corals, and certainly not to be trusted in a reef tank.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Melanurus are great fish, very hardy. Can be a little territorial with other wrasse of same family but not the most aggressive. Don't get huge like a lot of others do. If you want several from the same family, get them at the same time to avoid problems.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol you might lose some hermits when it's full grown. Mine is about 5 inches & still have a couple hermits, cleaner& fire shrimp, yellow coral banned shrimp, harlequin shrimp & it would never touch a coral. In fact they eat many parasites that attack corals & clams. They may nip at clam mantels though but that would be on a fish by fish basis.

OP
OP
R

RoDogVillan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is a 75g. I have a naso which i want to trade in while he is still suitable before he is to big. I want to get a bristletooth or kole. I also want a mandarin. Most likely another small tang such as a chevron. Right now i have my naso, jewel damsel (im trading in), 2 full grown coco worms, 2 sexys, red bubble tip, and one larger full grown peppermint. Wanting to add some color and friendly fish. I saw the melanaruz and i love the wrasse species in general along with tangs.

OP
OP
R

RoDogVillan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also have 30 mix of blue and red legs and 20-30 turbo and nas snails

OP
OP
R

RoDogVillan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a problem with ich. Blue hippo contaminated tank. Cured all the fish after i loss a yellow and blue tang. The ich is gone but worries about sickness and hardiness just in case

3dees

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had mine for about a year. bought it as a female. it's almost finished changing into a beautiful male. it doesn't bother any other fish. they are not reef safe. won't bother corals but my snail population is going down. it doesn't bother my peppermints but might be a problem with small shrimp and hermits.

pickupman66

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are great fish, and will eat everything in sight. mine ate a few snails and definatley Hermits once it got large. but they also keep pests under control too. Beautiful fish.

DRThompson

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DSC_3813.jpg

My melenarus. Had it for about 3 years now. He WILL go after your small snails and crabs.

I have 3 cleaner shrimp, 1 peppermint that he doesnt touch. Large snails (mex turbo) seem to live also. He has controlled my flat worm population! I also have a 6 line he doesnt bother either.

clintau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had one for at least 5 years. Great in the reef. Does eat small crabs. I have no shrimp.

jgraz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nasty little buggers, easily get sick, very dull in color, very aggressive, eats everything from other fish, inverts and corals, and certainly not to be trusted in a reef tank.

Maybe he's talking about another fish. But that is the exact opposite description for the melunarus.

Mine is a perfect citizen. Occasionally it will pick off a snail of it falls off a rock or glass but does not go after them for any other reason. I have never seen mine messing with hermits especially since they can usually go far enough into the shell to be out of harms way. All other crabs have been fine as well as cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp. Basically lives in harmony with all my fish(including 6-line) and CUC. Highly recommended.

I'll add though, that I saw you have sexy shrimp. That might not be so lucky and just might end up a snack.

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think these fish are great! Very colorful and active additions to any tank. I have not experienced any issues with bullying. I currently keep 10 or so in different client's tanks and of those 10, I have had one get sick with a existing disease, but after 2-3months in a QT in the warehouse, he went right back out. I have had no issues with them attacking shrimps, hermits, or snails. I keep them with multiple other wrasses from paddle fins to 6-lines and they get along great. Once in awhile I get a call from a client thinking theirs has died only to go out and dog him out of his sand-bed bed, lol. They like to burrow/sleep in the sand. I say get one! I love them!

bigsby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Yeah, I couldn't disagree more with this. This is the exact opposite of my Melanarus. I have a full mixed reed and have no issues. I have many shrimp, snails, and hermits and it's been almost a year and no issues whatsoever. Very beautiful to look at as well with gorgeous colors.

Culater94

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a male, great colors, super active. Does show a bit of aggression only towards a another male fairy wrasse I have and during feeding time. Constantly searching for food, completely eradicated a flatworm issue I had on a hammer coral. Also have seen it keep my bristle worm population in check. Have not seen him eat my small snails, but my population has gone down and did have a sexy shrimp that has since gone missing recently as I started feeding less.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe he's talking about another fish. But that is the exact opposite description for the melunarus.

Mine is a perfect citizen. Occasionally it will pick off a snail of it falls off a rock or glass but does not go after them for any other reason. I have never seen mine messing with hermits especially since they can usually go far enough into the shell to be out of harms way. All other crabs have been fine as well as cleaner shrimp and a blood shrimp. Basically lives in harmony with all my fish(including 6-line) and CUC. Highly recommended.

I'll add though, that I saw you have sexy shrimp. That might not be so lucky and just might end up a snack.
Exactly! [emoji122]

Djtonton

Saltwater Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one had it for about 3 years now by far my favorite fish. Im sure he along with my other wrasses are why i repalce snails every so often but they look amazing and are great fish. Would def recommend.

MadCityReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I couldn't disagree more with this. This is the exact opposite of my Melanarus. I have a full mixed reed and have no issues. I have many shrimp, snails, and hermits and it's been almost a year and no issues whatsoever. Very beautiful to look at as well with gorgeous colors.
Exactly! I was obviously kidding when I wrote that, one of my favorite fish for sure! If anyone come across a Richmond's Wrasse I would also recommend, looks simular to a Melanurus Wrasse.

ptreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
had one for 3.5 yrs along with african leapord, six line, cleaner wrasse and regular leopard wrasse.
No issues. He is well behaved and nevr goes after fish. he may once in a while strike a snail or crab, but hardly ever. Doesn't mess with any shrimp..cleaners, coral banded or blood red

Back