Aiptasia!!

jUlitOc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question I had a live rock on my tank full of aiptasia so I took it out of my tank to kill the aiptasia I left out for couple of days on freshwater n mayb 2 days I let it dry can I just throw it back in my tank or will it make it crash??

mrcoffee2

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Um well it depends what was on that rock. You could have a lot of dead critters on there and throwing it into the tank could cause some nasty algae spikes

I suggest

2-3 day vinegar bath OR
Acid dip

Then let it dry outside a couple weeks to ensure everything is off it.

OP
OP
J

jUlitOc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanx anything else I should worry abt? would it cause my tank to cycle?

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this, by freshwater dip, acid wash, etc. you will basically be killing things off and a cycle might occur if it's a majority of your rock that you're cleaning. I have use peppermint shrimp's and have had great results with them, sometimes they pick up corals which is a negative but I deal with it.

ReeferBob

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that was in your tank for any length of time you probably have more aiptasia now. Watch very carefully and get some AiptasiaX and treat new aiptasia that pop up IMMEDIATELY before they are out of control.

OP
OP
J

jUlitOc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was just only 1 rock I'm doing the vinegar dip n after I'll let it dry I'll let u know wat happens when I trwow it in my tank thx 4 the help guys

jayhawk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider this, by freshwater dip, acid wash, etc. you will basically be killing things off and a cycle might occur if it's a majority of your rock that you're cleaning. I have use peppermint shrimp's and have had great results with them, sometimes they pick up corals which is a negative but I deal with it.

Peppermint shrimp is safe and natural. I treated my aiptasia problem with "aiptasia X" by Red Sea and it never eliminated the problem. After a week of adding 3 peppermint Shrimp, I have no aiptasia.

OP
OP
J

jUlitOc13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I add it 2 peppermint shrimp couple months ago n they didn't do anything to my aiptasia [emoji20]

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back