ginger and food

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
was wondering if anyone was using ginger extract oil in there foods
I started adding ginger about a year ago.i know its good for us so why not animals.
ive been feeding 2 pairs of clowns and there steady laying eggs ,fish look healthy and colors are really vibrant.
tangs,rabbit fish, angels,basslet.clowns

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I've heard of all sorts of herbs and spices being added to fish foods. I'll see if I can find the link again to see what benefits ginger may have if it's on the list :)

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this in a reef tank with Sps ?Very interesting if it is. I myself love ginger
yes I do add it to sps tank. and also to broodstock tank food.
im adding a few drops of ginger extract oil sold at health food stores.

I got the idea from a philipine person that uses ginger root for the common cold,i figured ick is like the common cold so I found the oil.i let it soak for about 20 mins and feed

powdermonkey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a rather large thread on RC about the use of ginger and ich. You may want to look into it.

louis.couto.3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know about ginger extract but I use garlic extract and on my fish food they love it!

Michael..z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always wondered about ginger myself. I stay true to my homemade food by adding garlic oil,and bifuran combo. I've read that hemp oil is also useful but haven't tried that one either

Michael..z

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louis my cleaners usually last about the same 6mo is the rough estimate. Nitrates and other inhabitants could b stressing them

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of these sorts of things might make some fish more likely to eat it, but I am skeptical that it is medically helpful for marine creatures to consume ginger.

FWIW, without any evidence either way, I'd have to think it at least as likely to be toxic as useful, since there are far, far more toxic natural chemicals in the world than there are useful natural ones to consume. :)

OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think most of these sorts of things might make some fish more likely to eat it, but I am skeptical that it is medically helpful for marine creatures to consume ginger.

FWIW, without any evidence either way, I'd have to think it at least as likely to be toxic as useful, since there are far, far more toxic natural chemicals in the world than there are useful natural ones to consume. :)
agreed randy
I always wonder what effects our garlic addition and other spices we add effect the liver,
now were into probiotics.ive been using the probiotic fish flakes for over a year now and fish look healthy.

CastAway

Prone to wander, never lost.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I look at it this way; what business does a terrestrial bulb or root have in a marine environment? It just doesn't happen in nature. Sure, I love it, fires up my taste buds, but to transpose this on a reef tank, to me, sounds like more of a marketing gimmick that we've all just bought into, based on I don't know what. Not saying it doesn't have any "effect", but I do think it's very improbable it's the "effect" we think it is.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

swissgaurd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not asking anyone to go out and by it and try it out
this is just an ingredient that ive been using in my foods and it seems to be keeping my fish healthy and also keeping my breeding clownfish pairs laying healthy eggs.
so if there is anyone using ginger it would be nice to hear from them.actually come to think of it my sps are looking pretty good lately.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im not asking anyone to go out and by it and try it out
this is just an ingredient that ive been using in my foods and it seems to be keeping my fish healthy and also keeping my breeding clownfish pairs laying healthy eggs.
so if there is anyone using ginger it would be nice to hear from them.actually come to think of it my sps are looking pretty good lately.

That's certainly a fair question, and I don't want to beat a dead horse, but just to be clear what our point is, you can't know the ginger did anything useful.

I don't feed ginger and my foods have been "keeping my fish healthy and also keeping my breeding clownfish pairs laying healthy eggs". So should I conclude the key fact is that I didn't feed ginger?

Anyway, I'll be interested to see what other folks report. :)

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.9%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 43 82.7%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.5%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 5.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back