Upgrading to a 40B!

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only had my 27 cube for 3-4 months and I ran out of space real fast. I plan on picking up a 40 breeder in the next couple of weeks. I was going to go the sump route, but then I started adding it all up and it was a lot since I'm a college student. I have a simple plan in my head, which is 30-40 lbs of live/dry rock and 20-40 lbs of live sand. I currently have a lot of zoa's and LPS and a couple of SPS. I'm just looking to keep more zoa's and add a BTA. I'm currently only running 2 425 PH's and an AquaClear 70 as a refugium with chaeto and chemi pure elite. Everything has been doing great. My plan is to keep this same basic set up with the 40B. I plan on upgrading my powerheads to TWO 1150 Koralia's; one on each end of tank facing each other slightly aimed towards the surface or both of them in the back panel crossing each other. All I plan on using is my AC70 refugium and the 1150 PH's. Will this be enough for this size tank? Are the 1150's too much? What is a good skimmer that I can fit in the AC70? Thanks in advance! Any other opinions are greatly appreciated!

Longnose Hawkfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure on a good skimmer, but you should be able to keep up on everything you plan to keep just fine.

IanWR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might suggest rethinking the BTA. With the variety of coral you have/plan to have you may be sad when your anemone decides to wander and kills the coral near to it. I have a BTA and it was happy where it was for a year. Then it decided to move up about 6", and killed my staghorn. If it ever decides to move somewhere I can get it, I'll find it a new home. Till then I may avoid any expensive coral purchases.

- Ian

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Ian (Welcome by the way!), I would wait on a BTA as they can be a real challenge, especially in an aquarium housing corals like SPS.

Honestly, I would wait on the tank purchase and keep with the cube for as long as possible. Having been a college student with a reef tank, keeping it small have so many benefits, in terms of learning and financials, that provides so much for later tank upgrades. Maybe consider trimming/selling some of your less favored corals and adding Zoos afterward?

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not really sure on a good skimmer, but you should be able to keep up on everything you plan to keep just fine.
I'm happy to hear that. Thank you for your input!

I might suggest rethinking the BTA. With the variety of coral you have/plan to have you may be sad when your anemone decides to wander and kills the coral near to it. I have a BTA and it was happy where it was for a year. Then it decided to move up about 6", and killed my staghorn. If it ever decides to move somewhere I can get it, I'll find it a new home. Till then I may avoid any expensive coral purchases.

- Ian
That's honestly my biggest concern. All of my zoa's are on the sand bed and then I have the SPS and Frogspawn/Torch/Hammer on rocks so that's probably going to be the biggest problem. I've just seen so many tanks where people have a lot of coral and manage to have a BTA as well. I guess that's why I want to try it.

I agree with Ian (Welcome by the way!), I would wait on a BTA as they can be a real challenge, especially in an aquarium housing corals like SPS.

Honestly, I would wait on the tank purchase and keep with the cube for as long as possible. Having been a college student with a reef tank, keeping it small have so many benefits, in terms of learning and financials, that provides so much for later tank upgrades. Maybe consider trimming/selling some of your less favored corals and adding Zoos afterward?
That is also an option I should consider. But in all honestly, it's not very much bigger than the cube, probably 10-15 gallons more. I wanted to go slightly bigger so I could have more water volume to help keep the parameters more stable.

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,

Its not much bigger, but it's definitely a cost to consider.. money that could go into something else you really wanted for the tank but couldn't get. What are your tank specs, out of curiosity? Any pictures? :)

OP
OP
Miketc17

Miketc17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mike,

Its not much bigger, but it's definitely a cost to consider.. money that could go into something else you really wanted for the tank but couldn't get. What are your tank specs, out of curiosity? Any pictures? :)

My plan is to wait for the Petco $1/gallon sale or find a used one form Craigslist.com. I have a 27g Marineland Cube, 20x20x18 (not a true cube). Roughly 30lbs of rock and 20 lbs of sand. As you can tell in the picture it's pretty cramped as it is (older picture). If I could get the 40B during Petco's sale, it would only cost me $40 and then the only other thing I would need is to upgrade the PH's. Btw, do you think two 1150's would be too much? Plus the AC70 on it's lowest settings?

IMG_3025.jpg

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 34 29.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back