What was your first fish?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What was the first fish you bought for your saltwater aquarium? What led you to pick that one? Looking back, would you still get that one or would you recommend something else as a first fish?

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Btw, my first fish was bought for me and was a yellow-tail damsel. The first fish I bought was a clownfish (a pair actually). I think a clown is a good first fish...I am avidly against keeping damsels in reef tanks in most cases bc of their aggressive nature, and I would NEVER make them the first addition (probably the last...if at all).

FishGuyTy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish was a green chromis. I totally agree about damsels. They are incredibly aggressive and cause more harm than good. I do like to cycle a tank with them as they are cheap and hardy, but I always remove them. In my opinion, clowns are not much better as far as aggression goes. My worst experiences with fish, in particular being bit, are all clown related. They are a species of damsel and tend to be very territorial, though very hardy.

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first 2 sw fish I bought at petco... I bought the fish and the sw setup then waited for the dust to settle wile fish were floating...
ddi I mention they sold me a mandarin and they had a 3"-4" sohal tang on sale for $35 so I bought them both, this was an eclipse 29g sw setup

the fish actually lived fine but I hate petco.

Pete68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine was a clarkia clown I went to view it 5 times in 2 weeks that was many moons ago lol.

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first fish was a firefish. He is still doing well about four months later. I would certainly recommend this fish to somebody for their first.

mrred

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maroon clown, she became huge, would destroy my tank by digging in the sand and would attack my hand if i was in the tank. Love/hate relationship. had her for 4 yrs then gave her to my lfs

TruRacr314x

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first was a pair of clowns...orange one and black one. Great fish....probably one of plenty that started out with clowns!

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a peaceful fish, active, colorful, and easy to care for. Also, if you are considering adding this particular fish it should be one of the first. Because it is more peaceful and will not get territorial with other later additions.

Thanks for the reply Karen. How big a tank would you recommend? 10 gallon? what other fish would you pair it with?

:thumb:

Karen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LiveAquaria recommends 10 gal. I have a 14 gal. The only companions for him right now are the CUC, a PomPom crab, and a ruby red mandarin (I am supplementing pods in the tank). I will be doing more research as to other fish to put in when I am ready to get more. I really won't be able to add many more, but being in an apartment I cannot go up to too large a tank.

I think I will be looking into gobies and possibly blennies. I am going for mostly peaceful fish. And nothing poisonous or harmful. Have to think of the little ones just in case!

JPOIII

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw, my first fish was bought for me and was a yellow-tail damsel. The first fish I bought was a clownfish (a pair actually). I think a clown is a good first fish...I am avidly against keeping damsels in reef tanks in most cases bc of their aggressive nature, and I would NEVER make them the first addition (probably the last...if at all).

My first fish was a yellow-tail damsel too. I jumped the gun on my cycle time because I was too impatient. 6 years later and 3 tanks later I still have him. Also, who dat! We'll bounce back. Maybe not this year lol

darrell7456

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my first fish was a blue damsel. just to cycle my tank. still living and doing well. i guess i'll keep him

lionfish5740

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think mine was a domino damsel that the LFS talked me into for cycling the tank. It was interesting at the time and I later got it hosting a carpet anemone but very territorial. It would go after my hand and killed a couple other damsels that I later got. But after that I bought the fishes that I got into saltwater for, wrasses not reef safe! Yellowtail corris, paddlefin, marble, dragon, green bird and bluehead in one tank :) Food would barely hit the water and it was like how I imagined piranha feed. That domino didn't ever step out of line with that cast lol!!
Carpet anemone had to go after it ate my first expensive prized fish within the first month!!!
Man, I miss that tank every once in a while.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Talbots damsel and a yellow tail blue damsel. The blue went back to the LFS the next day, the talbot was way awesome!!

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 36.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 29.9%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back