I think there may be a problem here...

eefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had my tank up and running for almost over a year now. Back in February I was able to pick up a few frags at our local frag swap and since then they have been doing fine. Starting sometime last week though, I have noticed some significant changes in my coral. Nothing really dramatic has changed as far as chemistry, lighting, or other factors that may cause the corals to become stressed. According to my LFS, all of my water parameters are well within normal ranges. My Phosphates, Nitrates, and Nitrites are all 0.0; my salinity is 1.027; and my Calc and Alk are 400 and 7, respectively. Despite having almost no traceable nutrients, I have seen a massive growth of brown algae throughout my tank. I'm still relatively new to the hobby and I am willing to admit when I need help.
20141023_164556.jpg

Cyphastrea Dead/Dying (?)
IMG_20140217_155735_543.jpg

Cyphastrea before
20141023_164614.jpg

Montastrea Dead/Dying (?)
IMG_20140217_155750_661.jpg

Montastrea before
20141023_164642.jpg

Hammer coral closed

I apologize for my phone's poor picture quality.

Thanks

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Usually when an outbreak of algae occurs there is elevated nutrients causing po4 or trates to rise the reason tests show low is the algae is eating it up. Need to do some water changes maybe change light cycle by reducing time on and reducing how often and how much you are feeding. Cuc is also very beneficial to algae control.

OP
OP
E

eefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you recommend to be better: more frequent, smaller water changes (10% a day) or larger water changes farther apart (20-30% every other week)?

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 90 gal tanks going i usually try to do around a 16 gal wc every two weeks on both. Mind you the water looks great that i am taking out nice and clear no yellowing i can only think it has to do with getting levels back that we dont usually test for and to bring salinity back into check. Mine started to do same thing did the change cause i went a little longer than norm and things perked back up my hammers and slimer told me things werent quite right. You can do smaller more often if you like or if its easier up to you though

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Smaller more frequent, maybe 10-15% pre week. That will keep things more stable than larger less frequent WC's.

What would you recommend to be better: more frequent, smaller water changes (10% a day) or larger water changes farther apart (20-30% every other week)?

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also use a good salt mix. I use Reef Crystals which work fine. Id say your phosphates are high but as stated above you cant tell because the algea is holding them. I also reccommend smaller more frequient water changes. Idk about everyday but maybe like 10% every 3-5 days until the problem gets fixed. Do you run any phosban or anything to fight p04?

OP
OP
E

eefan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did do a ammonia test yesterday and found that there is a trace amount. I'm not sure if this would explain the rapid die off of all my snails. My half dozen blue legged hermits, trio of emerald crabs, and one my peppermint shrimp are doing well; not to mention my zoanthid colony.

20141023_164628.jpg

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back