Shrimps dieing cleaners and peppermint a why?

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 50 cube recently added a group of peppermint shrimp bought 6 now have 1 also bought a cleaner shrimp he died as well.

List of fish
2 true perc clowns
1 lubbocks fairy wrasse
1 royal blue tang
3 anthias
2 chromis
1 diamond watchman goby
Corals and anemones
And hermits and snails

Could I have a predator bristle worm? I watch the tank daily and haven't noticed any huge ones or anything but those shrimps have all died for pretty much no reason I can foresee.

Any thoughts or suggestions? Water Paramus are as follows

Sg 1.026
Nitrate .03
Nitrite 00
Ammonia 00
Phos .02

It was doing fine in the tank for about 3 weeks then I found it today being eaten by a bristle worm. Wondering if I might have a predator bristle worm or something

Has me a bit nervous since all my fish sleep in the rocks. And a cleaner shrimp is 30$

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they needed iodine to molt? Also,I wouldn't think 3 weeks in wouldn't explain a "lack" of something killing them. All of the shrimp I've kept molt maybe 2-3 times a year. So I wouldn't think 3 weeks and not having the elements to molt would cause this. I would look more towards have you ever treated your tank with copper for things such as ich?

What Is your alk? or cal? They need calcium to molt I think and cant stand big alk swings

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought they needed iodine to molt? Also,I wouldn't think 3 weeks in wouldn't explain a "lack" of something killing them. All of the shrimp I've kept molt maybe 2-3 times a year. So I wouldn't think 3 weeks and not having the elements to molt would cause this. I would look more towards have you ever treated your tank with copper for things such as ich?

I haven't treated for anything nothing is different

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is iodine they require for molting from what searching I did. I had a pair of fire for about a year and they just suddenly died within 2 days. I thought they had molted but wasn't the case. I have 6 sexy shrimp in the same system that are doing well so far. My fire molted about every 2 months or so. Is the peppermint still alive?

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is iodine they require for molting from what searching I did. I had a pair of fire for about a year and they just suddenly died within 2 days. I thought they had molted but wasn't the case. I have 6 sexy shrimp in the same system that are doing well so far. My fire molted about every 2 months or so. Is the peppermint still alive?

2 of the 6 peppermint are still alive.

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea but if copper was present I would think they wouldn't last 3 weeks would you?
Thats all I can think of as well or iodide or sometimes they just die in a bad molt but 4 out of 6 says somthing is merc'n them to me especially if its only your inverts dying of. A rock worm will smoke your shrimp too looks like a bristle worm but acts like satan their quick as hell too theyll grab em very fast and yank em in their hole. My advice, if your sure your chemistry is right, is watch your tank For a few hours when all lights r out look for a shrimp killin ninja and ill bet you find one

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See that's what I was thinking maybe I'll just do a bristle worm trap and catch me all ;)

joshbbert

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say set some traps but I didnt want to be a double posting know it all just seemed like the logical conclusion i really hope you figure it out or catch a culprit and kill him with fire, or feed him to a mantis shrimp same dif good luck!

OP
OP
C

cor4eyh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was gonna say set some traps but I didnt want to be a double posting know it all just seemed like the logical conclusion i really hope you figure it out or catch a culprit and kill him with fire, or feed him to a mantis shrimp same dif good luck!

I know right? And fracking scary what if this predator got some of my fish hundreds of dollars down the pooper gonna set a trap tonight!

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea hopefully you catch whatever It Is but I would think If something was killing It would also be eating It but you never know and I would think the peppermint would be gone also but you never know In these boxes we keep.

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Joker, you're probably right about the copper. The other 2 wouldn't have made it this long. I'm leaning more towards what you guys are speculating with a worm now. OP, you don't by chance have a pistol shrimp that you didn't mention do you? I know mine will take out anything that gets too close to his burrow.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.6%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 33 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back