Upgrading tank. Info needed.

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so Ive been told more than one thing on this. Here is the deal. I have a 20L tank that is doing great and has been up since feb. Has a 20G sump so id say the system is around 30G. I purchased a 75G tank with a 30G sump. I have dry rock and some dry sand. It is black sand though and I really like it compared to my white sand in the 20. I was thinking about mixing them but idk if I want to do that or not. Anyway my question is how should I go about switching everything over? Should I set the 75 up and cycle it before I put my stuff from the 20 in it? People have told me as long as I put all my water in it and rock and sand it shouldnt have a cycle and everything should be fine. I really dont want to loose any livestock. Ideas???

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can do it either way. I would set up the 75 and let it cycle before adding livestock. I have switched everything all at once. Lost some livestock and it really stressful trying to do it all at once.

OP
OP
h8z2luze

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might just do it all at once and hope for the best. I cant really have both tanks running.

JFrar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im gonna be doing this soon from 100g system to about 160 g system... and really been thinking how im going to do it, one think i've been thinking about doing and you might want to consider is a day before you do the change, do a water change of whateever % of the tank and use that water along with the sytem. in my 100 g system im going to try to get 20 gallons out a day before i do the change so that i have 120gallons now of my own water to use in the new set up.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back