Flatworm??

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This morning I noticed in one of my grow-out tanks this worm, I did do a Google search on it and I think it's a Rust Brown Flatworm.
But if it's something else just fill me in on this.
I have a few wild colonies in there that I dipped before the came in the tank, guess I missed a few eggs.
As of now they are on the glass only, I dipped every coral in the tank and nothing came off.
What's the natural way to get rid of this?
I do hate to use a Chemical treatment in the system.
Grow-out tank is a different system than the DT.

Attachments

• flatworm.JPG
    flatworm.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 200

leptang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its a flat worm for sure, i keep a 6 line wrasse to keep in control of the population of flat worms

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a common planaria. Not the AEFW, but will have to watch your sps

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a common planaria. Not the AEFW, but will have to watch your sps

It's in the frag tank with about 20 wild colonies.
How can I get rid of this, I hate six lines.
Should I dip every other day or I hear you can turn lights off for 3 days and skim heavenly as they hate low PO4 and can't live with no light.
Never dealt with any kind of worm or pest before in 30 years of reefing, knock on wood!!

D maul

Well know lightsabre
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon them off the glass with a hose you can put a filter bag on the end to catch them and reuse the tank water

hatfielj

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't do anything. They're harmless. As long as your SPS look fine they're not AEFW and no worries

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acoel Flat Worm=Algae/detritus eaters. Under proper conditions can become prolific in numbers. They wind up killing SPS not because they eat them but because of the vast numbers literally smothering the coral from light.
They thrive under high light conditions. Like corals they contain zooxanthellea in their body's thus using light for energy.
If you don't like the 6 Line, Yellow Coriss Wrasse are known to eat them also. Otherwise there's always Flat Worm Exit.

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just placed a order at DD for 2 Blackspotted leopardWrasse and 2 Vermiculite Wrasse.
Been doing some research the last two hours and these are hunters.
I have plenty of Pods in the tank if they for some reason have no appetite for them.
Only thing is I need a few small trays with sand in there for them to sleep.
How bad is flatworm exit for the system?
Don't want to kill any pods or other beneficial critters in there.

CT Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really bad outbreak of red flatworms. I tried the daily siphon, but it become a loosing battle. I finally bought flatworm exit. I used about 150% of the recommended dose. The worms start to die almost immediately. I tried to catch as many of their remains as possible with a net (I understand its the dead worms, not the med that can be toxici) Ran carbon about an hour after dosing. Still have a tank full of pods.... and no more flatworms.:clap2:

OP
OP
Diesel

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a really bad outbreak of red flatworms. I tried the daily siphon, but it become a loosing battle. I finally bought flatworm exit. I used about 150% of the recommended dose. The worms start to die almost immediately. I tried to catch as many of their remains as possible with a net (I understand its the dead worms, not the med that can be toxici) Ran carbon about an hour after dosing. Still have a tank full of pods.... and no more flatworms.:clap2:

Thanks.
Just had a LFS owner drop of 10 boxes of that exit stuff.
Will try the Termiwrassenator method first, if not we nuke with exit.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This works as well as have some water on hand for changing like 20-40%.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys LOVE eating flatworms, only flatworms. It's the only thing they eat, which can also be a bad thing.
Blue velvet nudibranch:
5-12-10007.jpg

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back