Need help. Vertex skimmer has gone nuts.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running this skimmer for several weeks now with no issues. I came home today to this.

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414638328.247749.jpg

I raised the skimmer up another 6 inches to where it's almost out of the water and it's still overflowing.

Pulled the pump apart and it appears to be clean and free of debris. I haven't added any additives. Wedge pipe is wide open. I can hold the skimmer by hand in about 2 inches of water and it's still overflowing.
ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414638600.904743.jpg

Kreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the 130.. And have Never had an issue. I do notice that the vertex is very sensitive to water height. If I
Forget to turn mine off during a wc it will go crazy like your photos. You could try and close the wedge pipe a bit and play around with the white ceramic volute(I think it's called) on the front of pump inlet. I believe that has so do with the air/water mixture. I keep my
Wedge 70% closed, volute closed and have no problems. My Skimmer is raised 1/2 " I'm my sump and sits in about 8" of waTer. Hope you get it dialed in cause these skimmers are BEASTS

Zero Nitrates

I love chalices
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a IM180. It went nuts like that. I tried adjusting it for a month or two with no success. I then replaced the impeller. Did not help either. Replaced it with a asm skimmer and now everything is fine.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The omega line likes water depth around 7 1/2". It can take a few weeks to break in. I have a 150 i have it in 7 1/2" water set to about 50% dry type skim and it pulls some really dark skim

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try restricting the air inlet to the pump.

If I pinch the air hose it just shoots micro bubbles everywhere and still overflows.

Is that the 130 or 150?

EDIT: I was wrong, it's the 150.

I have the 130.. And have Never had an issue. I do notice that the vertex is very sensitive to water height. If I
Forget to turn mine off during a wc it will go crazy like your photos. You could try and close the wedge pipe a bit and play around with the white ceramic volute(I think it's called) on the front of pump inlet. I believe that has so do with the air/water mixture. I keep my
Wedge 70% closed, volute closed and have no problems. My Skimmer is raised 1/2 " I'm my sump and sits in about 8" of waTer. Hope you get it dialed in cause these skimmers are BEASTS

I moved the pipe open and closed and didn't make a difference. I'll look for the volute you mention. I didn't notice any other adjustments on this skimmer.

I have a IM180. It went nuts like that. I tried adjusting it for a month or two with no success. I then replaced the impeller. Did not help either. Replaced it with a asm skimmer and now everything is fine.

Not good!

The omega line likes water depth around 7 1/2". It can take a few weeks to break in. I have a 150 i have it in 7 1/2" water set to about 50% dry type skim and it pulls some really dark skim

It was in about 9" and now it's more like 5. Still overskimming, very wet but not overflowing like it was. I've been using the skimmer almost 2 months now with no issues until now. It was skimming great until yesterday.

Last edited:

Kreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closing the wedge pipe raises the water level inside the skimmer body. I have mine set so that the bubbles break right at the union between the collection cup and body. The volute is the small white ring on the pump intake

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414690227.561630.jpg

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1414690303.480421.jpg

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the pic. I'll adjust the white ring today and see if it helps. I didn't know that was adjustable. I had the wedge pipe all the way open to begin with since I had it just a little deep. It's still running wide open now.

OP
OP
ritter6788

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got home today and it had settled down. The internal water level was so low it would never skim anything. I left it raised up and closed the wedge pipe to bring up the internal water level. Seems to be fine now, I'm not sure what made it suddenly do what it did after 2 months in the same settings.

Bjreef562

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you add new filter floss/replaced your socks or even possibly scrub your tank with a new algae scrubber pad ?

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 53 48.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 60 55.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 25 22.9%
  • None.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 8.3%
Back