Crushed Coral Substrate?

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to use crushed coral as a substrate but recently found out of many people having nitrate problems due to trapped detritus. I was only going to use a very thin layer (just enough to cover the bottom of the tank). Would I still be having nitrate problems or would I be able to get away with it?

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still use xtra fine crushed coral on my tank, I don't have any nitrate issues. Its all in what size you get.

mc-cro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is the trapped detritus, so its not so much a matter of how thick or what size; that type of substrate you have to use a siphon/gravel vac to remove the detritus before it becomes a problem.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the problem is the trapped detritus, so its not so much a matter of how thick or what size; that type of substrate you have to use a siphon/gravel vac to remove the detritus before it becomes a problem.
I agree, I was having lots of problems after a few years of crushed coral. I removed about 3/4 of it (as much as I could) and put in sand. Things are back on track now.

OP
OP
M

maxxin69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I was having lots of problems after a few years of crushed coral. I removed about 3/4 of it (as much as I could) and put in sand. Things are back on track now.
That has been the general consensus thus far. Unless I can find some other long term success stories then I'll just go sand and save the headache.

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, any substrate needs a clean up crew, like crabs, snails, sea stars, and fish like sand sifting gobies.
I like them all and enjoy watching them !

If you don't utilize any, then once a week or so take a tool like a rake, and move the substrate to get the detritus in the water column.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long? I have the same grain as you if that is your tank in the picture.
How long have I had CC? WOW, ever since I've had SW tanks. I've always used this. This CC in the pics I've had for 6 years, and it came from a 125g tank that I had for an additional 6 years.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back