Any currently favored Flake food feeders recommendations?

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for a fish feeder to dose flake food (Formula One) to my tank. I'd like for it to be fastened to the tank's edge (It's rimless and 1' thick).

I've looked at the Eheim everyday feeder and JBJ's feeder. Anyone have a strong opinion on the matter?

Thanks!

Christian

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydors is cheap and easy to use. Very basic but gets the job done. However might I suggest something other than flakes?
With nutrients being water soluble and the vast surface area of flake I have read that over 50% of flake nutrients are lost in side of several seconds. With the not so bite size pieces it is inevitable that some flake will make its way into your filter/overflow. With the loss of nutrients and lack of substance it is inpossible to meet the needs of larger fish. Also in an automatic feeder flake is prone to fouling due to moisture.

Last edited:

Saulsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albeit off topic Thanks for the info rob.

I have used the neptunes and eheim feeders both with great success.. Although flake must me chopped up into smaller pieces to properly feed

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rob, I understand your worries and agree but unfortunately pellets have not been accepted as they do not remain in suspension long enough for all the fish to get at it. I have two bullies in the tank and if some of the food can not get away from them, the others don't get much of a chance to eat. Believe you me, I would use pellets if I could (I did in my prior tanks), but it's not a real possibility at this moment. I am happy to report that I feed in small increments and dang near none of the flakes make it to the floor and is usually consumed in about four seconds, upsetting my hermits, of course. ;)

I also feed Mysis shrimp (For dinner) and I go through the pains of thawing it out, rinsing it, and then suspending it out throughout the tank so all get it too. They need to make a feeder that does all that for me too! :D

Do y'all know if the Eheim Everyday Feeder comes with the mounting hardware for tank edges?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Albeit off topic Thanks for the info rob.

I have used the neptunes and eheim feeders both with great success.. Although flake must me chopped up into smaller pieces to properly feed
I'm confused. How is suggesting an auto feeder and expounding on the subject off topic?
Christian, if you have not tried New Life Spectrum's Thera A or their new Finicky Feeder formula you might want to consider them . Great foods. If you'd like I can send you a pinch from my jar. Pm me your address and I can send you some so you don't have to buy a jar to see of it works. Another great food is Hikaria's Massnivor Delight. Though its a large pellet you'd need to break it up. I have gotten lion fish on it first try.

Last edited:

Saulsa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No need to take offense to it.. I guess when I'm reading at midnight before sleep my mind doesn't correlate the original feed question with food information well. No stress..

Rob Top1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If something I said led you to believe I took offense I apologize. It confused me as to how it was OT. Confused not offended. However at this point we are certainly derailing the feeder topic, so...
Eheim...haven't used thier feeder, but what Eheim product doesn't work well? They have high quality standards for sure. Don't know if Thiers does this but the Life Guard feeder has a cool feature. You can program it to "dump" up to 16 times. Four feed times and at each feed set point the drum can rotate 1-4 times. So you can offer diffetant meal sizes. Think their new one even has two food bins so you can mix up what is being feed

Last edited:

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's one the market that has a small fan that keeps moisture out of the feeder which helps stop the food from getting soggy and gross. I believe it's the eheim, but I could be wrong there.
You can't go wrong with any eheim product though!

OP
OP
Electrobes

Electrobes

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did purchase an Eheim Everyday Feeder (Got it for 25 bucks on Amazon). I need to mod it to fit on my 1" thick tank wall. Looking forward to it's use.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back