What does "low" lighting actually mean for corals?

laineyg6

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10G nano tank and a Current LED lighting system. I used to use 2 compact Coralife 50/50 bulbs to light my tank and decided to upgrade. The only corals I have are softies, random polyps, palys, zoas and mushrooms. Since then, my corals stretch up to the light a lot less, so things seem to be improved. However, I took a leap and ordered some corals online. Turns out most of them require "low to moderate" lighting. I don't have a rock formation that provides overhangs or shelves right now.

I am concerned about the corals (particularly an expensive Rainbow Zoa) getting overexposed. I've had them for 3 days and a couple of them are still acclimating and very annoyed little boogers. The Rainbow has shown no signs of opening up. I finally stacked rock and put it in a shadow.

My LED has a program for cloudy or mostly cloudy lighting that simulates the sun going in and out of the clouds. It also has a 7 hour exposure time (as opposed to the 10 and 12 hour programs) that runs the lights at about 60% strength, and one that runs at 80%.

So, here are the lighting options I've considered:
a) Run the lights at 100% and buy all new live rock to create deep shadowy places or
b) Run the cloudy sky programming so it's not as intense or
c) Run the 60-80% lighting and don't worry about shadowy places.

I don't want to keep moving the frags around and stress them out, but I don't want them to just wither up and die.

Expert opinions welcomed!!

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dim the lights down if possible. Start low and gradually raise it over a matter of weeks till everything looks happy.
You won't hurt anything by providing some shade though. It's always a good idea incase you decide on some higher light corals and need to move any lower light ones out of the way.
I'm no expert on lighting though.
Edit: sorry. I just reread your post properly. I would use the 60% setting or hang the lights higher above the tank :) or even both to begin with.

Last edited:

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back