Aquarium Glass Polish???

jden092901

Joshua
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 120 that I bought used. I just got it drilled with custom overflows installed. The glass is in pretty good shape with a few scratches and some watermarks. Is there some type of glass polish I could use inside and out to clean the tank. I want it to look as new as I can.

Thank you,

Joshua

gparr

Waterbox Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To clean the inside, I would just use vinegar. Lay the tank on its side and pour vinegar onto the glass. The lip should hold the vinegar in and basically give you a sheet of vinegar on the glass. Come back in an hour and turn the tank so another side is down and let that side soak. Keep going until all sides are clean. You can hustle things along by using a razor blade to clean the glass once the deposits have been softened up by the vinegar. Clean the tank out with water when you're done and you should be good to go.

As for the outside, unless there are deposits, water should clean it.

Since it's a used tank, also note whether you need to re-seal the plastic frame on the top of the tank so that water/salt won't creep out once it's set up.

I'm not sure I'd use any polish material. Vinegar and water are safe. It would be hard to determine whether you've removed all deposits from any polish.

Gary

cparka23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most scratches on the inside of the glass should disappear when the tank is filled with water. If they're on the outside, there isn't much you can do.

As for cleaning, use vinegar as Gary suggested. Distilled white vinegar is handy for periodic aquarium maintenance, especially for cleaning deposits out of pumps and powerheads. It should work well for getting out any mineral deposits.

OP
OP
J

jden092901

Joshua
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your help. I think it will clean up nice. Its already pretty clean, I'm just very picky! I got the tank for 50.00 bucks, so I couldn't pass it down. Its in very good shape and with it drilled and the custom overflows I had installed, it will be nice!

Thanks again,

Joshua

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back