Brown sand bed

raultsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone please tell me what this stuff on my sand bed is. I did 3 days of darkness and it disappeared but as soon as I turned the lights back on it came back within a day. I do 10% water change weekly run gfo and carbon and nitrates and phosphates are near 0.

Attachments

• 1416353052740.jpg
    1416353052740.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 431
  • 1416353065066.jpg
    1416353065066.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 376

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First i would ask how long has the tank been running? Second question would be what kind of water are you using? RO/DI? And do you know where you got your sand? Brown algae are diatoms. Which is not really algae but tiny single cell organisms. Brown algae is normal in the cycling or beginning of the tank. It will usually cycle out on its own. The brown algae usually means high silicates in the tank. Normally from tap water or poor sand. Dont overfeed and make sure you have a good flow through-out the tank. These are the things i was told when i first set up and had this problem.

fishroomlady

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it almost looks like cyano bacteria to me. I'm thinking 11 months is a pretty long period to be having pronounced diatoms

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its just basic stuff. Make sure your test kits are good and do a check list of all the things mentioned on that page. I think there are some links as well.

Dr.Reefgood

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it almost looks like cyano bacteria to me. I'm thinking 11 months is a pretty long period to be having pronounced diatoms
I agree. Maybe need more flow or test kits may be bad. I used chemi-clean when i had cyano. Some people will swear to never use chemicals in the tank. I used chemi-clean and it did wonders. Keep the water clean and flowing and you shouldnt get it again

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it matter if it's only on the sand? There is nothing on my rocks

No, but it might get worse.

Many people really dislike cyano, primarily for aesthetic reasons.

Having some cyano growing in patches is generally not any sort of "problem" for other parts of the tank, unless it begins to overgrow something you care about, but usually the concern is that it is just unattractive.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually am running into the same exact issue....tank has been up for about 13 months. I have had absolutely 0 algae growth up until now. I also run both GFO and ChemPure Elite. Both Phosphates and Nitrates test 0. Nothing has changed other than adding a coral here and there. I have just been siphoning up the small patches on the gravel/sand bed daily. I have also increased the skimmer production to produce more of a wet skim as well as cutting down on feedings of both the fish and coral. So far I don't notice any decrease (small patches show up each day...also only on sand bed) but I have only been doing these changes for about a week. I definitely have plenty of flow......some of the patches are showing up directly in the line of fire of a powerhead.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.5%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 16.9%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.0%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 79 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back