Sponge attacking my corals

gustavo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a new member of the R2R and this is my first request for help.I been in the hobby for almost 4 years,I have a 150 gal reef tank with fish and corals.Recently I got a rock from friend(?) of mine,with a coral and covered with a shiny yellow sponge,I set next to a toadstool soft coral, beautiful,then I noticed that the toadstool start to get the same sponge around the body and start to decay,I tried Reef Dip from Seachem twice already,with no good results;the problems is that another corals are been attacked from this sponge and small balls of sponge are showing in differents rocks.Somebody know how I can control and eliminate that weird sponge?I'll really appreciate your inputs.Thank you in advance.
Sincerely
Gustavo

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya sponges can do a number on corals but they sure look sweet. I have seen certain sponges die off from being exposed to air, but it sounds like you've already done that. light seems to take some sponges out. Good luck.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting first post. I can't offer advice but I'm interested to hear responses. I have a white sponge that's a little crazy in my sump I worry about sometimes.

IdahoFledgling

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot offer any advice either mate. Sounds frightening. Any pics? ;)

Subscribing and hoping for a successful outcome.

cymaster007

Ex-Socal Resident
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponge will die if you can treat it with hydrogen peroxide, also there are some nudibranchs that eat sponge

TXRon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently noticed some bright yellow/green sponge looking stuff in the middle of an alveopora with polyps receding away from it. I removed it with tweezers (pic1) and the next day the coral had filled back in with all polyps extended. Then I noticed i lost a coral head from my green hammer. A day later the hammer looked like pic 2. I took that image while dipping the coral. You can see the same sponge or whatever on the skeleton of the hammer. Any help is appreciated. Anyone seen this before?

Coral sponge 1.jpg Coral Sponge 2.jpg

FreeEnergyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can only tell you my experience with sponges and what worked for me. At the 6month mark in my 75g high end mixed reef I was infested pretty bad with the standard white pineapple sponges and another white spider web looking sponges. I know now they came from me dosing phytoplankton daily for the entire 6months. The spiderweb looking sponge would crawl up my sps from the bottom n slowly kill them off as they climbed. I finally got ticked and scrubbed every sponge out of my tank and sump, all besides the few small ones in tiny rock crevices. After doing so I quit doseing daily ,took 3 weeks off and only dose it once a week now. The remaining 10 or so sponges have dwindled down to 3 and looks like they'll be gone soon. It's been 3months since doing so. Now I have no worries of some raggedy sponge wrecking thousands o dollars worth of colonies. IMO sponges are a parasite to corals and have no place in a reef tank. Good Luck n Happy Reefing my friend.

Back