Sump Questions

Stemick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just upgrade (well better configuration) my sump. I had a acrylic 20 gal that was 18"x15" x17" leaving each compartment short. The fug was smaller then what I wanted and did not allow the chaeto to get light like it need caused it had to grow down. I found 20 gal glass tank 24"x12" x 17" that fit pefectly in my stand from front to back and the guy i bought it off of had already put baffles in it so all the work was done. It has three compartments in it. Just like my old one, my old one was made for the fug to be in the first compartment and skimmer in second and return pump in third. I have the new sump currently with the skimmer in first with the DT drain, chaeto in second, and return pump & ATO line in 3rd. My skimmer will fit in the first or second stage and both about the same size. What would be better to have in the first stage chaeto or skimmer? I also thinking of running Chemi pure/actived carbon in a 150 two little fishy reactor what stage would be best for the pump and then the filtered output? I want to set this up to get the most effective filtration out of it now that I have the ability to do a decent fug. Wish I had the room for a little bigger fug. Thanks for any thoughts or input.

MIKE :usa2:

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, you explained that pretty well. In my sump I have the Chaeto in the first compartment, where water comes in, for more circulation. Skimmer in the second compartment. My pump for the GFO/carbon canister is in the return section and the return line from the canister goes back into the second compartment. Hope that helps.

Trex

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are the baffles like? Mainly the one(s) b/t the second and third section?

Personally, all of my sumps (( made a couple 20 longs, and purchased one for my 210 )), and they all have the skimmer/inflow section first, with the fuge second. Lastly the return section. I like having the additional chamber to help eliminate microbubbles.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back