Should my aquarium be this cloudy?

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up a 29 gallon reef and I'm wondering I this should be cloudy. I set it up yesterday around 3:00 and it's almost been twenty four hours. I used instant ocean reef salt. Currently until my canister shows up I have a power filter on the back... And I'm running an 800 gph powerhead idk the brand it's like a generic. Here's a pic

ImageUploadedByREEF2REEF1416766093.012866.jpg

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn off the power head, change the filter media, and let it run. Power head doesn't need to be on right at this moment, you could be creating your own dust storm.

What type of sand did you use?

OP
OP
Tank.Bro!

Tank.Bro!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used some dry Carib sea and live Carib sea mixture and I jut got this filter an hour ago and also I'll shut the powerhead off.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinsing gets all the fine dirt particles out and makes less of a dust storm. Don't pull the sand, but get ready to change a bunch of filter media as it cleans the water.

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My nano was that cloudy its a part of starting out.But i noticed that when i did my 100 gallon i set the rocks on the floor of the tank put the sand in clipped the hose to put water in the tank cascading on a rock and hand it cleared up quick.
IMAG1936.jpg
IMAG2084.jpg

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me i got annoyed got rid of the black sand and went with the fiji pink live sand did a quick rinse of the sand and all was good ultimately the lfs i first started with had bad water so my water was very ugly.

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me i got annoyed got rid of the black sand and went with the fiji pink live sand did a quick rinse of the sand and all was good ultimately the lfs i first started with had bad water so my water was very ugly.What i dont understand is that when we rinse the live sand dont we ultimately get rid of some of the good bacteria.I believe this is why my lfs sold me the bacteria to add to my tank.???????? Lets get some input on rinsing the sand

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is wrong with the tank. Let it sit for 24hrs and it should be clear. Don't do or add anything to the tank.

gotscreensprinting

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its totally up to you change filters often or what i did was i had no livestock yet just took out all the water and bought some from my new lfs and still get my water 2 this day with him.I pay for my water i dont make it its alot easier having a pro do it for me.Totally up to you what you want to do.This is what i did and it worked for me.

Rob.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nothing is wrong with the tank. Let it sit for 24hrs and it should be clear. Don't do or add anything to the tank.

^^^^ This is the answer. Also, some of the sand dust will cling to.the glass, after a day or so the dust will settle and you can wipe down the inside glass, nothing more you can do.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.3%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 28 16.2%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.5%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 75 43.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back