Should I feed my refugium

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is I don't know what the pods will scavenge since my dt runs to a filter sock into the sump then from a manifold my return runs to skimmer dt and my refugium. So in theory not much of anything is getting into the fuge. Should I feed the pods etc cyclopeez occasionally? I have cheato live sand and liverock in my fuge. Just curious. Their is a good population in it just don't want them to diminish.

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do know pods will grab up pellets and take off with them. I have sexy shrimp in my sump so I feed them pellets and the pods will go crazy for them. Some of them are almost as big as the shrimp.lol

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some large ones too. Just figured the cyclopeez being smaller would be easier for the smaller ones and less polluting?

JOKER

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im sure would be better for smaller ones but I wouldn't feed more than a few times a week, that would be asking for trouble I would think. I
feed my shrimp and fuge 2-3 times a week. When I set up the new tank with dsb In sump I plan to not filter the water going to the dsb so
they will get food that way

OP
OP
Reef Junky150

Reef Junky150

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I might just add it to my Saturday routine. Once a week oght to be good. I'll try it for a few weeks and see if it makes any noticeable "eye test" difference.

basile

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pods are herbivores

They love algaes , hair algaes or any accumulation of algaes you can find around pipes they love that.

My display refugium is feeding my reef by gravity so i don't worry about filter socks and return pumps for the pods.

Photo701.jpg

I have a connecting flex from the fuge to the main tank. I feed my macroalgaes and my critters at the same time.

I use spirulina as well to feed pods they love that. I also have an extra pod farm on the side.

Photo803.jpg

i wouldn't waste cyclopeeze , just flakes, even brine shrimp eggs is a great treat for the pods. But flakes, the spots of hair algaes, Ulva is one of the favorite pods algaes. They go through it like paper.

Photo338-1.jpg

From the left side bulkhead of the refugium

Photo272.jpg

Throught the flex and a gate valve to control the flow to the main tank.

Photo276.jpg

The pods reach the reef safely.

509-1.jpg

385.jpg

399.jpg

Last edited:

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back