Blue tuxedo urchin

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just added a Blue tuxedo urchin to my tank last night and now I see this is a few spots...any idea on what it could be?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416957798.489684.jpg

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No idea. but be ready for a lot of your coralline to disappear. They can take it out quick depending on your tank size.

OP
OP
EZMAC114

EZMAC114

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did some research and found out it's urchin poop. Yeah I read that they'll eat all of the coralline but I also read that it will come back quickly

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a clarification, the blue tuxedo urchin is not known to eat coraline algae, Diadema's however will without stopping

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because I've witnessed it, I'm going to respectfully disagree. Mine started stripping it from day one and hasn't stopped. I literally have almost zero coralline algae remaining except in crevices the urchin can't get to.

Just a clarification, the blue tuxedo urchin is not known to eat coraline algae, Diadema's however will without stopping

ebushrow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only because I've witnessed it, I'm going to respectfully disagree. Mine started stripping it from day one and hasn't stopped. I literally have almost zero coralline algae remaining except in crevices the urchin can't get to.
All I can say is that it is atypical...but if it's the difference between eating anything available or dying....they will eat ... Did yours have enough to eat?

Sully

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He's had plenty to eat. I've had him for almost a year. And if you knew my tank and the issues I've had, you'd know he had plenty to eat, lol. Let's just say I had a phosphate issue that created plenty for him to graze on.

All I can say is that it is atypical...but if it's the difference between eating anything available or dying....they will eat ... Did yours have enough to eat?

jilnifer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think It hilarious to watch them poop lol
Me too! I had a pencil urchin and I loved him. Unfortunately he coded himself with algae and then started leaving it in every crevice be visited. So cool to watch move, eat, and poop.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back