Beginner tank sizes

BeEasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to start another tank but I want to get a 65-120 gallon tank. I was looking at this one Deep Sea Aquatics 105 Gallon - Neo Series Rimless Glass Aquarium is this a good tank to start with?

What would You guys recommend getting with this tank I would like to have a refugium and skimmer with half live rock cured and half dry rock.

I just don't know what would be the best reasonably priced fear to go with. Is like it to be mainly fish with a few corals and frags and clams.

What lighting would be required?

And am I trying to go to big to soon? I've had a 55 tall tank 5 years ago so I'm not 100% new to this.

Ktm898

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone can correct me if im wrong but that tank is designed to have a sump. A sump is another tank bellow with heaters skimmer reactors etc. for this u would also need a return pump. For lighting i was told t5 or led. People also recomend metal halides but they put off alot of heat. Im fairly new also just somethings ive learned. Remeber the search feature is your friend.

kschweer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated above a bigger tank is actually in theory easier. With a bigger tank it is easier to keep thing stable which is key for success. I personally love rimless tanks I have 2 myself. To set up that tank you will need a sump as explained above. A good skimmer is also recommended. When looking into skimmers try to get one that is a bit oversized for the system. You're also going to need a return pump, the newer dc pumps offered by many manufacturers are really nice. They are adjustable and use less energy. Some powerheads will also be needed to add flow to the tank. With lighting it's going to depend on budget and a lot of personal preference. You will see the newer trend of hybrid lighting being used such as t5 with leds or halide and led. I love my t5/led combo. I feel I get better growth and color over my other tank with just led. You will also need sand and rocks. I would also recommend a reactor or 2 for carbon and/or GFO. It's a lot to take in all at once. Take your time and do some research o the forum. Patience is another key to success in the hobby. Head over to the member tank forum and look over some builds, when setting up my tank I got tons of ideas and info doing so. Best of luck.

OP
OP
BeEasy

BeEasy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thank you guys so much. What's wrong with a damsel?

heathd.hd

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do some looking at custom tanks. Upgrading and new tanks are always fun but I wish I would have gone with the best in the first place. I'm really looking into something like a reef savvy 144g 5' x 2' x 2' or something similar. Also the damsel thing is because they are territorial and are hard to catch. Most people can never catch them lol.

Last edited:

Pfisherman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger tank is a bigger price point though. many that are new in the hobby dont realize the initial investment can be astronomical. bigger tank means more rocks, salt, water, sand, lighting, and filtration. all in one tanks are all the rage right now. I believe they are popular because of the simplicity and cost savings, you can find 29g biocubes ready to run for 200-300 all day. Will this be your first attempt at a marine tank?

SantaMonicaHelp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bigger tank is a bigger price point though. many that are new in the hobby dont realize the initial investment can be astronomical. bigger tank means more rocks, salt, water, sand, lighting, and filtration. all in one tanks are all the rage right now. I believe they are popular because of the simplicity and cost savings, you can find 29g biocubes ready to run for 200-300 all day. Will this be your first attempt at a marine tank?

This is definitely an important factor. I'm definitely tempted by those biocubes on a daily basis :)

Wags

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By the way clowns are damsels and their I started with offed my anthias and dotty back :/ have tomget rid of them now. That's a good size. It is true bigger is more stable but also is more expensive an requires more work. LR is what sent me towards getting my 50'cube. I have 60lbs and it cost me over 100$ and I got all dry from CL. Also water changes and top off will be more. If I had more money and more space I would definitely have gone bigger!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 14 26.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 44 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Other

Votes: 2 3.8%
Back