Leaving on a jet plane...

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im leaving back to puerto rico from ohio in a couple days with a box full of corals as carry on, i did speak to a TSA agent a while ago and they said i can bring all the coral i want onboard so.. im litterally taking their word for it. I will be taking it on as a carry on though its about the size of a standard carry on luggage maybe a little bigger, im hopeing for the best! Anyone ever travel with a box of corals? Any experiences with TSA or the airline? [emoji574] [emoji575]

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Save trip, boricua?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soy de Arroyo, but live in CT... nice to meet ya!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Snapcracklepop

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice to meet you too, i lived in CT a while in hartford, the saltwater hobby is big in your area?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah it is... I've been to Tipp City, Ohio... wanted to make it to Tidal Gardens but wasn't able to, how close is that to you?

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a build thread, would love to see your DT and the setup...thx!

OP
OP
Snapcracklepop

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tidal gardens is pretty cool, the owner is a nice guy, but its like 4 hours away from me unfortanatly. You can catch them at just about any ohio frag meet too, very nice set up. Yea i have a build thread but its still young about a month old, i think its called 40b reef tank build under the member tank section (let me know what you think!)

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
you can offcourse check in with right pakaging. I have taken with me in an overhead bag. I took the frags in specimen cup (below 4 oz of water)... And also opened I for them to see...so they do not pass thru X-ray. Best of luck.

Sam

OP
OP
Snapcracklepop

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late update: the coral passed through great, though next time in bringing a foldable dolly because it was so hard carrying about 30lbs of water through the airports at the stops. But TSA was great about it, no xrays, no bag opening, no hassle, just asked me what was in the box, opened the box to see there was nothing else inside and thats it. Even rode the box in the pilots closet on the small craft flight. Only thing id suggest doing is sort of enphasizing that its a live animal because if your too calm about it the flight attendants will want to put it in with the other non carry on luggage, and that is about a 30° temperature difference.

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Late update: the coral passed through great, though next time in bringing a foldable dolly because it was so hard carrying about 30lbs of water through the airports at the stops. But TSA was great about it, no xrays, no bag opening, no hassle, just asked me what was in the box, opened the box to see there was nothing else inside and thats it. Even rode the box in the pilots closet on the small craft flight. Only thing id suggest doing is sort of enphasizing that its a live animal because if your too calm about it the flight attendants will want to put it in with the other non carry on luggage, and that is about a 30° temperature difference.

Excellent... show them off we want to see... lol

Armon_p

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm suprised that they will let you take liquid on a carry on!

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wondered what happen why you bring corals thru the airport. Thanks for sharing.

ReefMedic68W

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wouldn't happen in Hawaii ! Haha they're anal about coral although they let me check a bag with fish in it haha

OP
OP
Snapcracklepop

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the box that i put all the corals in for the trip, one of the best live fish boxes ive come across because the packaging to space ratio is great and fits in the overhead compartment of a plane

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420120730116.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420120730116.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 1,723
OP
OP
Snapcracklepop

Snapcracklepop

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent... show them off we want to see... lol
I dont have a picture of the corals in the box, but these are all the corals i was able to transport in it. And this is a 40 breeder by the way
(check out my build thread please) [emoji225]

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1420120985248.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1420120985248.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,590

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 43 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 22.5%
  • None.

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.1%

Back