Live Rock Hitchhiker ID

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
This is my first time to post. I typically read other posts or just do searches to find my answers but this one has me stumped. These are pictures of something that came on one of my live rocks and I can't figure out what it is. It is brown, sort of looks like a hairy seed but there is a split down the middle. It does move so I know it isn't just something stuck on the rock. I had shifted the live rock and it later appeared in a different spot. It does open a bit so I think that it is filter feeding. Any thoughts? Thanks.

IMG_6879.jpg
IMG_6886.jpg

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, welcome to posting on Reef 2 Reef. Your critter is a clam. They have a "foot" that they can use to move short distances.
I see you also have Vermetid Snails in there; you'll want to break them off from the base.

I should change my answer to bivalve because it looks like it could be an Egyptian Wing-Oyster.

http://www.lionfishlair.com/hitchhiker/hitchhiker.shtml

Last edited:
OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I didn't know that they were hairy. I thought about a clam but looked like it could open in four pieces instead of just two but maybe its an optical illusion. Do I need to do anything special to feed it or just let it do its thing?

Mike J.

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Care for bivalves: Strong current, moderate light and microscopic plankton (<15 milli-micron). If you have a tank that is being fed they generally don't require any extra care. There are lots of critters that will eat them; which is how I lose most of my clams and oysters.

OP
OP
huskerreefatl

huskerreefatl

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks. There is some great reading on that link. I thought those were feather dusters or something similar...there is a ton of them on that piece of rock. Maybe some are feather dusters and others are snails. I will look closer.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back