A turkey day near catastrophe

niftyjosh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It all started as the best Thanksgiving should. Entire week off work, Sps looking good after a massive 50+ frag cutting party, tank rock solid, kids and wife happy, and the ultimate weekend planned.

We left Tuesday night for my wife uncle's about 80 mile away. We had an awesome time till this afternoon when my father called to say my chocolate lab had got wounded while waterfowl hunting. The dog had jumped into the water and landed on some submerged brush and received a puncture wound to her stomach.

Needless to say, I rushed home.

Belle, the lab, had already been stitched up but was uncomfortable at my dad's so I took her home.

It took awhile for her to calm down but when she was settled and sleeping, I decided to feed the fish.

Half the tank was without power. Two out of four vortechs, Ca reactor, fuge light, Kalk doser, and skimmer were down.

Turns out a bulkhead on my fuge decided to devlope a leak after years of being fine. That leak dripped directly onto my UPS and tripped the GFI socket.

While everything looks good for the moment, I can only imagine what could have happened if I didn't install GFI sockets for EVERY piece of equipment running my tank.

A smoked UPS is really the least of my worries as I have read absolute horror stories about a leak causing fires and people losing their house.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back