Brightest Tube anemone I have ever seen....

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got this the other day after a little bit of reasearch and a heck of a good price $15. One of the LFS I frequent(not the one I trade with) one of the owners gave me a great price on it and he was looking to get it off his hands. I had been looking at it for about 2 weeks and decided to pick it up.....It's only about a 2 incher and the camera picks up more blue then what the eye sees in my tank.....After reading a good article over on I think it was advancedaquarist.com I figured I can't pass up on adding some color of this brightness.

DSCN0368.jpg

bryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GReat specimen and awesome price. Back when I ran the store, they were more than 15 wholesale, so he got a score! They are one of my favorites.

Merry Christmas!

fishes2889

Aquaculturist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice find. I want one! :)

The ones i saw down at one of the tampa wholesaler were 17.50$ wholesale, but not as good color as yours.

Steve :)

twon8

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have heard they can catch and eat small fish, a danger with any anemone, but i believe these are particularly deadly.

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/june2004/invert.htm

According to Dr.Toonen that is a misconception and is infact false.....After reading his article is one of the reasons beyond price I got it.....I thought the same thing to, but if you read his article about how they eat or what they eat it look to be a very rare if not unwarrented myth.....

Xavier

Mantis Club President
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well they reqire a very deep sand/mud bed to keep their foot in and they require lots of meaty foods

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made a deep spotabout 3-4 inchs with southdown that I added awhile back.....I also have a 18g nano that has a 5-6 sand bed if it looks like it is bothered.....So I can always move it over.....

surfn

I bleed orange and maroon
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yeah, those are cool.

i want to get a pink one that has a green center.

i'm sure they can eat small fish, if a small enough goby wondered too close and was injuried and didnt react fast enough to get away. but i mean, most fish if not injured would stay away from long tentacles like that.

which is my only real concern with getting one, trying to figure out how big it will get and how far of a reach it has to sting nearby corals...

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have touched the tentacles and they don't hurt, you can tell they are there but nothing painful at all. This thing is tiny, the body is like an 1 1/2 inches. When it opens it open up to about 3-4 inches across with the feeder tentacles out. I don't have anything near it so it can open and not touch anything....The perfect spot for it......I had to aqua-scape my tank after a recent loss I had....Once it gets bigger I will move it to the nano so it can be in a tank all by itself....

berns

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
we recently had these in stock at our shops, all illuminous lime green or pink or similar bright colours, the head marine guy at my lfs would not touch them as he placed in a deepish sand mound they made in coral tank, i asked why so scared and he reply that they have a nasty sting lol and he also advised that they'll try eat anything they catch lol

could just be more mis-information regarding livestock

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
According to Dr.Toonen after they did the study on the power of the nematocysts, they found that the stinging capabilities of tube anemones were less then that of Aptaisia which I found interesting.......

Updated pictures......

DSCN0457.jpg

These 2 pictures my wife took while I was sleeping today cause she thought it looked prettier then it has yet....I like trying toget her involved in my hobby....sometimes anyway.
DSCN0460.jpg

DSCN0461.jpg

OP
OP
Azurel

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks....I actully moved it yesterday to my nano....I have snad sifting snails and I think they were irritating it so it pulled up out of it's tube and moved into the rock work. I have it in the nano now by itself with 5-7 inches of fine sand. It looks to be a little happier in there. The colors are still just as bright but now I don't have to be concerned of it stinging anything like my zoas....

Back