Has any one used BRS Hw Marine Mix Reefer Salt?

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering has anyone used this salt and for how long? Do you have SPS and what do you think of it compared to other salts. I am mulling over changing from reef crystals and curious to know how it compares. Ca, Mg, Alk etc also...

hw-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix 160 Gallons - Bulk Reef Supply

Last edited:

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked some up during the black friday sale. Ive been using reef crystals for a few years and have never really been happy. I get a nasty sludge in my mixing tank from the reef crystals which seems odd to me, I hear the hw mixes clean and wont leave anything in the tank. Having mixed a batch yet so can't comment further. following

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just picked some up during the black friday sale. Ive been using reef crystals for a few years and have never really been happy. I get a nasty sludge in my mixing tank from the reef crystals which seems odd to me, I hear the hw mixes clean and wont leave anything in the tank. Having mixed a batch yet so can't comment further. following

Yeah I hear you on RC. And it can mix for 12 hrs and still isn't crystal clear. Not only that, but lately the balance isn't consistant. This is also what I'm concerned about with BRS's new salt.

I'm wondering about the CA, MG, ALK and trace at 1.026 SA. also. If I intend to change salts i want to be sure it's one I can stick with.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
mixes clear in an hour or two, didn't test the big 3 on it though.

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since it is new to us all, maybe everyone should test (CA, MG AND ALK)the mix 'before' adding to your existing tank. Just to see what it comes to and if it's consistant in all batches. And from bag to bag....

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I don't mix the entire 160g box all at once, the measured value will be off from water change to water change. This week my scope might contain more cal, next week I might scope up more alk, etc. Thats why I will just take BRS' word on it on the values, cuz they mix one whole box at a time, which, I simply don't have the space to do.

"Upon BRS analysis - hw-Marinemix Reefer contained Calcium at 445-450 ppm, Alk of 9.0 dKH, Magnesium at 1380 ppm." This is for the reefer version.

kevantheman35

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it's weird that we have a hard time finding anyone that uses this salt when they claim it's the oldest salt brand on the market

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually, I goggled it and there are a lot of threads on it, I think dating back to 2007. Lol, if course prior to brs selling it. That's as far as I went back, but there is probably some older data somewhere. I find this forums "one" of the sources, but not the only one(have to expand a lot of times to find out about different and new things). A quick Google search for anything reveals much..

I think though that I an going to try it personally, as what I read was pretty good..

Last edited:

jasonandsarah

Sticks, sticks and more STICKS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using HW Marinemix Reefer salt for a couple months and haven't had the greatest results. I'm not saying is a bad salt mix but my experience hasn't been great.
#1- I kept finding big pieces of plastic bag in my salt. It was a woven type of plastic.
#2- Every time I mix a bucket of this salt I get a lot of floating particles on the top. I never got this with RC.
#3- Ever since I started using this salt I've been battling off Cyano. I run a low nutrients system and my phosphates are 0.02 and my nitrates are undetectable.
#4- I have noticed some loss of colors in my sps since I started using this salt. Mainly blues and reds.
#5- price point (if this salt performed better it'd be worth it)
So my personal conclusion for this salt mix is its not worth the money. :nono: I will give the customer service a nod :nod: because when I told them about the plastic and floating particles they sent me out a new box asap.
I do want to say that the company claimed this was a one time mistake. ( floating particles & plastic bag ) but for me I'm just not willing to risk trying it any longer.

Last edited:

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying this salt mine came packed in a very heavy duty plastic bag bags that red sea, reef crystals, or even seachem are flimsy compared to this bag mixed up 10 gals mixed clear in under an hour and no particles.

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using HW Marinemix Reefer salt for a couple months and haven't had the greatest results. I'm not saying is a bad salt mix but my experience hasn't been great.
#1- I kept finding big pieces of plastic bag in my salt. It was a woven type of plastic.
#2- Every time I mix a bucket of this salt I get a lot of floating particles on the top. I never got this with RC.
#3- Ever since I started using this salt I've been battling off Cyano. I run a low nutrients system and my phosphates are 0.02 and my nitrates are undetectable.
#4- I have noticed some loss of colors in my sps since I started using this salt. Mainly blues and reds.
#5- price point (if this salt performed better it'd be worth it)
So my personal conclusion for this salt mix is its not worth the money. :nono: I will give the customer service a nod :nod: because when I told them about the plastic and floating particles they sent me out a new box asap.
I do want to say that the company claimed this was a one time mistake. ( floating particles & plastic bag ) but for me I'm just not willing to risk trying it any longer.

in regards to cyano, did you also mention it to them when you complaint about the floating stuff?

Speedo2wet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using it for a few months and have had no problems with it yet. I haven't been able to test in a while but things seem to be loving it. My main issue is fluctuating pH but I'm adding a kalk stirrer to keep things more balanced. Tank continues to be very clear even adding newly mixed water.

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used it in the past - like way in the past. Unless I am mistaken, Hawaiian Marine was available back in the 80s. It was more expensive than the cheaper, more commercialized salts, so they kind of faded off into the background for a while. It was regarded as the "best" way back in the day. I haven't used it in many years, but I am considering trying it again. So I will follow along to see what this thread brings to light.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently changed to this from Reef Crystals due to the high alkalinity spiking mine every water change (I try to maintain 7.5-8.0) I've been very pleased so far. Mixes much faster than RC for me. This is what it mixes for me at 35ppt.

Calcium 475
Magnesium 1440
Alkalinity 9.5

Reef Crystals was giving me

Calcium 475
Magnesium 1425
Alkalinity 11.0

OP
OP
prsnlty

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm. I may get some next time i need to order salt. Rc hasn't been clear for me and i really want to keep my costs as low as i can. I had a bad experience with rscp when trying a switch. When you guys do a salt switch, do you 50/50 old and new and work your way to the new one or just go for it?

Speedo2wet

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I love it. Nice and clear, quick mix. I usually just go ahead and do my next water change with the new salt so for my 150 gallon I change like 35 gallons or so.

tigerdragon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some used some when i setup frag tank mixed clear very quickly like in about an hour.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back