I want to go bare bottom

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have a bc29 that has a sand bed. I have been fighting hair algae and bubble algae for 6 months now. I have decided to go bare bottom and started removing the sand in sections during water changes. I normally remove 5 to 10 gallons a week. I have about 20 pounds of live rock in the tank. The tank is not fed, and I have no fish. I did have fish in the beginning but developed ick so my tank has been fishless for 10 months. I run ro water. Wondering how fast I can remove the sand safely?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No food or anything for the corals at all? How long was it setup with fish and food? Less then 6 months? If so you could remove half check levels for spikes if good remove the rest about 3 days later. Check levels for any spikes. If you get spikes add amino lock and do water changes.

OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I did target feed my Duncan's, zoa's and others. I know I did overfeed in the beginning,

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be good at the rate your going, removal of some at the time of your WC will get r done.

Frozn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've been fishless for 10 months and you're having algae problems? Where are the nutrients coming from? Your tank should be crystal clear. Are your rocks leeching phosphates?

c.poindexter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would suspect the rocks as well have something being released.

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Add a reactor and put Carbon(lignite) and GFO. This will help stabilze phosphates/nitrates. I had a problem with phosphate leaching out untill I started using an reactor. :nerd:

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider an algae scrubber, this will grow algae specifically and keep the annoying hair algae out of your main tank. Rather than changing so many things, remove the nutrients the natural way before it can grow on your rocks and corals.

h8z2luze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a Tominii tang and a bunch of hermits. They took care of mine. But my frag/qt tank is bare bottom. Looks kinda cool.

index.php

Last edited:
OP
OP
Fishyj

Fishyj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did remove my sand bed. I also ordered an algae scrubber. I really believe the problem is from over feeding when I had fish in it. I am doing water changes now every 4-5 days. Once the algae scrubber gets here, I will begin to feed the tank more than once a week. Eventually I will add about 3-4 fish in it. Thanks for all the replies.

kgk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a bad issue, you need to get comfortable removing algae from your rock in your tank as well. Otherwise, it could take a very long time to clear up.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back