Oh No Disaster!!!!!

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so its every reefers worst nightmare having some kind of disaster strike and possibly ruin their tank but as always there are things that can be done to deal with events to help lessen the damage. For starters in your opinions what should every reefer have in their reef tank first aid kit for when something goes down? Like RODI water, battery powered pumps, etc. I also think its a good idea to have a plan of action in case of foreseeable disasters such as a power outage or tank springing a leak, do any of you have plans set up so you or whoever might be at your tank knows what to do right away and if so what are your plans?

#reefsquad

ReeferEric

Resident Reef Junky
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I tend overthink, overdo things.

Power outages I have my Vortech pumps all on battery backups. I've got RO/DI water ready to go, 100 gallon of mix salt water on tap. I've also got 3 frag tanks sitting around if I spring a leak. I can also transport corals back-and-forth between my display and frag tank which are fed by the same return pump/sump. Both of which have gate valves so I can shut down one or the other if needed. My apex will usually keep me informed of what's happening but I have video cameras that I can access to see what's going on as well.

Of course there is still the human error, which happens more than often. lol

Last edited by a moderator:

melev

Avid Hobbyist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a generator that will power my reef, the internet, tv, and fridge.

I have back up pumps, back up parts, additional additives to raise various levels if they need a push. A 100g feeding trough to move things into if necessary, and a huge sump that has space to hold some things.

The fishroom houses a 250g saltwater reservoir that is always circulating so if I need saltwater in a hurry, it's a ball valve away. Under my reef is a 45 RO/DI reservoir as well, which could be useful as well.

Extra extension cords, extra heaters, extra glass thermometers.

I need to pick up a big air pump and some airstones, as those are invaluable.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house Generator, 30 sg/ft of frag tanks to house corals and fish, good insurance and 20K in a separate reef MCRU (Members Credit Reef Union) savings account to start all over if the first two getting overdue.

rayn

Bluefin Believer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dang, there are some prepared reefers out there!

Most of my past tanks haven't been much, so I never really worried about it. With my new build though, everything is battery backed up. Everything is hooked to the apex as well, so I am informed if something changes. I have a few spare tanks in the waiting if need be, extra chemicals for testing and pushing a parameter if needed, always keep my ro/di barrel full and always have salt on hand. Can mix if needed and stir by hand.

tonymission

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whole house Generator, 30 sg/ft of frag tanks to house corals and fish, good insurance and 20K in a separate reef MCRU (Members Credit Reef Union) savings account to start all over if the first two getting overdue.

Are your corals covered by insurance? I've been thinking about trying to get someone local to write me a policy and take on a little risk somehow. :)

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are your corals covered by insurance? I've been thinking about trying to get someone local to write me a policy and take on a little risk somehow. :)

Fish and Corals no, but the setup is as it's part of my home insurance coverage.

afamousjohnson

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet thread - always a worry in my mind and would call myself under prepared here. Battery bubbler and an inverter i dont know how to use.lol

OP
OP
Shep

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's some serious preparedness! So for those of us who can not afford a generator or do not live where one could be used (apartments, dorms), what are the top 3 things we should have on hand in case of a disaster?
I would say
1) battery powered powerheads/pumps to keep flow going
2) Fresh RODI water/saltwater
3) A friend who could host fish or corals until the disaster is over.

maroun.c

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Living in a country where 10-20 hours daily power outages are common depending on the season, and being a frequent traveller heres my backup plan:
-Dedicated power lines to the tank separate from home power supply.
-separate line connected to power supply and backup generator (shared 4 large generators suppkying the neighborhood which reduces risk of failure)
- separate line connected to 13 Amp UPS (still to be installed).
- separate line to personal backup generator( still to be installed).
- redundancy guaranteed by connecting equipment duplicates to different lines.
-back up batteries on vortechs.
-avoid to run system on single controller as itll be very complicated with my current electrical setup. I run separate controllers for temperature as double safety
one on each chiller and one on each group of heaters.
-2 chillers and multiple heaters.
-backup pump from basement filtration installed, all wife has to do is shut one pump Off and turn the other On in case pump fails.
-80Gallon salted water always ready for a quick Water Change and 40G ready to add salt and use as well
-100 GPD RO and possibility to join a second RO ( drinking water unit) to the DI cartridge to produce 200 gpd if needed urgently.
-back up skimmer
-carbon always ready and considering hooking a reactor full if Carbon to be started in case of Emergency if Im traveling.
-finally and most important a supporting wife and close group of reefer friends who will support when things happen and I'm on travel

bairdimusprime

Bill
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep fresh RODI fresh and salt water on hands at all times, we have a backup tank just in case of an emergency.
i have battery powered air pumps for power outages. and a generator powered by die hard batteries specifically for the tank.

phillrodrigo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have a generator that is back fed through the shed into the house which thankfully my brother allows my tank to be part of it. I also have a power inverter to take some strain off the generator. The generator is the one from his boat but during the hurricane did my tank the boiler 2 tvs and the 2 fridges and a few lights.

Back